Brand new newb

planofire1972

Reefing newb
So I just purchased a 28 gallon led nanocube for $375. Was a display never actualy used. Anyways getting off course. I need advice. If you were in my shoes and you had it all to do over again what would u do/not do? Obviously Im not returning it! I havent even begun the cycling of the tank yet. I have been doing a lot of research online and my local store is well stocked established and offers a very knowledgeable staff. I plan on utilizing them however I always trust second, third, opinions and so on. My wife wants a dwarf lion fish when its all said and done. Everything is stock right now but thinking of adding a hob skimmer / maybe an auquamaxx or so on to cover the live load. I did hear that the dwarf lion is a messy eater? Want to get some zoas, mushrooms, war coarl, frog spawn, maxim clam,cleaner shrip, fire shrimp, yellow cucumber, long tentacal plate coral, some clowns, jaw fish, scooter fish. yes now you may laugh.... so thats what im thingking to start off with. I also watched a vid on not having dead zones, and enought water movement in the tank. Is the stock equip + skimmer enough to get the job done??? Your much needed advice would be appreciated. Also advice on live rock ammount and best was to cycle. Thank You for taking time to read this banter.

The lion and shrimp will be a temp thing, he will eventually eat him. Id worry about him with small clowns the jaw fish and the scooter. Maybe a tougher pair like maroons *might * make it with the lion.

Remember your limit will be about 3 fish.

Live rock 1-2lbs per gallon, i tend to lean more towards 2lbs.

Id grab at least a small powerhead.

I have a 29 gallon bio cube with two hydor koralina 425's. Hydor's slim skim nano would be a great protein skimmer if your not adding a sump. I have 36 pounds of Live Rock. You can get the two 425's and the protein skimmer for around $160. I'm adding the Hydor Slim Skim Protien Skimmer ASAP great reviews

So the Lion may not be a good fit then.... Bummer. And the shrimp? Why a short term thing? I ask cause One vid I watched the cleaner shrimp had been there over a year.

I meant the lion and the shrimp co - existing ;) If you dont get a fish that will eat them they can last for some time.

Back