Breaking in a new Hydrometer.

Washburn82

Reefing newb
Hey i recently ordered a refractometer on ebay and am waiting for it to come in. Until then, i purchased a new hydrometer to replace the old one my friend gave me. I read somewhere that you need to let water sit in them for a certain amount of time to break in? Is this correct? Also i borrowed my friends refractometer tonight and compared the 2 readings which are only about .001 off. So am i good to go with this estimation or do i need to let water sit in it for awhile since i just got it?

I guess it depends on the brand, but when I did use a hydrometer, I initially let the water sit in it per the instructions.

Ya, no instructions on this one. Coralife make. I just remembered reading somewhere that its better to let water sit in them for some time. Just double checking with the pros. thanks

Then best bet is, use your current one to see where you are now, adjust the new with RODI to a zero and test it out see where you at on the new. As long as you're in the 1.22-1.26 range you're okay.

My old one is way off. But, I got my refractometer today. ;) works great and acccording to it my new hydrometer is off by .001. I like to have both for accuracy.

Back