Brief Intro

That is excellent advice thanks for all your help! I am really excited to get started! I am waiting another week before I put anything else in the tank, currently I just have Live Rock and Live Sand in the tank. Are there any fish that are good for a first fish? I have heard that if you put a chromis in the tank before anything else it can help with cycling, is this true? I found out today all of the Live Rock in my tank was Cured, so that kind of explains the test results I had. Do you think another week (if all tests continue to show perfect readings), would be enough time to wait before adding the first fish?

Thanks again for all the help,

Robb

I think it'd be fine if you waited one more week. Any fish that you add can cause the tank to cycle, that's not specific to chromis.

A 14 gallon tank would be too small for a chromis, though. They need a lot of swimming space. A goby, firefish or clownfish would be good to start with.

I added a couple of chromis to my tank to help cycle my tank. it is one of the more effective ways to cycle your tank. I would think about maybe a dwarf angel for your tank also. maybe a coral beauty or a flame angel, they are a few of the more colorful fish out there.:Cheers:

Ok thats good to know! I was not aware that Chromis required alot of room, the LFS told me they are easy to take care of and he recomended getting them for the small tank. I am glad someone was able to correct the information I was given. I will probably stick with the Clown Fish in that case. What kind of Dwarf angels are there? I am not too familiar with them, I only know of the normal size ones which require at least 75-90 G Tanks. I only have a 14G Biocube is there any angels that can safely fit in it?

Thanks!

Robb

I would love of those guys in my tank! They have such amazing color! But it says they need atleast a 30G tank, so does that mean it would not be suitable in my tank? The more I look into keeping fish, and the more I am realizing how little I can actually keep in the 14G biocube (quite the opposite of what the guy at the LFS told me). So I will probably be buying a second tank (much bigger) in the near future and keep some of the fish I would like to in that one, then keep the 14G to a small tank with 2 or 3 small fish in it, and maybe a few coral.

Robb

Those are both really cool! I really like the firefish! It wasn't that the fish guy told me I could put a ton of fish in there... It was that he told me I had a ton of fish to choose from and I could put like 3 or 4 in it. I was leaning toward the 29G but when he told me there was tons of fish to choose from for a 14G I figured that would be fine. Plus it says on the box a few types of fish that can be housed in it... however I am realizing now even the box was wrong. The box says that Chromis are fine in the tank, which I now know they are not. So I will probably just put a pair of clowns in it and then the CUC and leave it at that. Then buy a larger aquarium with my tax refund this year.

Robb

lol again I am not responding fast enough... I meant the Neon Goby and Fire fish not Sea Monkeys LMAO! but yeah I was thinking about some cleaner shrimp, and maybe an emerald crab or something (unless you have some other suggestions).

Robb

Actually another Fish I really liked was the Scooter Blemmy. They look pretty cool, and only require a small tank. Does anyone have any experience on these guys?

Robb

Yeah they are great little fish if you can buy one that is eating well. If you buy it from the store, ask them to feed it. If it eats, take it. If not, pass on it and let someone with a larger tank have it. They can starve to death if they are not readily eating prepared food.

Back