brittle star dead

mellowchef87

Reefing newb
So I came home from work today and my brittle star was literally torn to shreds... all of the arms were off and it didn't respond when I touched it... my tank has a clownish may be 1 1/2 inches. 3 hermit crabs a snail and a peppermint shrimp. Are any of these things known to tear up brittle stars? I am very curious because I only had it for a day and a half.

Well I have read about the drip method and I asked the guy at my LFS if I needed to do that for it and He said that they didn't need that and could just do the regular temp acclimation. These are also the guys that told me it would also take only 48 hours to cycle my 10g tank before I could put fish in. They have a great selection but they seem to not be too knowledgeable. Fortunately I recently discovered another LFS that is only 10 miss away instead of 45 so I think I will be going there from now on also I'm pretty sure all my ?'s will be directed here now lol. You all are way more knowledgeable than anyone I have talked to

Good to hear, i drip my snails and hermits in. I found out too they all seem not to die anymore and my nitrate problem disappeared too. Isnt it funny how that works!

I also should add, go to your lfs and pick up a areator air control valve, it works the same as the fancy ones and just tie the air hose to your center brace and away you go.

Well I appreciate all the help. I got paid today so I may get something else but: m not sure. I need to check my levels to make sure that didn't mess everything up. Any ideas on something good to get? And I will be sure to properly acclimate this time ;) Also any input on how to get my pH up? I've done water changes and everything but it all stays the same. I am getting some RO/DI water today instead of using tap water. Maybe that will help...

Im sorry, im not a strong believer in the rodi units. If you want to, because of the size of your tank, just pick up a 5gallon bucket and use the lfs rodi water. It will take you a very long time to pay off that unit. Im sure 5 gallons can last you a month. Save your money for now.....

You can pick up a api drip tester for under 30. I would do that first to know whats going on in your tank. That is the most important imo. If you get a rodi you will need a tbs meter too. These 2 items are about 200 bucks. I would stick with the testing kit

I always try to not expose anything to air, but that very Well may have happened. Also the guy at the LFS had a hell of a time trying to get it off of the rock it was all wound up on so He may have damaged it also..

I always worry about that too. I bought a Porcelain crab not too long ago and the guy was fighting with it for a fair bit to get him off the frag rack. lol

When it comes to RODI, I am of the opposite opinion than mario. When you consider gas to get there and how often you have to make special trips for water, and also what a pain in the butt it is to haul water, I think my $120 investment in a good RO/DI unit is well worth it. Not to mention how many times I have seen someone post about the water they bought at their LFS having nitrates and phosphates in it. You never know how often they change the filters. One guy even did a WC with "pre-mixed saltwater" and they had forgot to mix the salt in so he ended up doing a big water change with RO/DI water. I prefer to take matters into my own hands when it comes to my water quality :)

When it comes to RODI, I am of the opposite opinion than mario. When you consider gas to get there and how often you have to make special trips for water, and also what a pain in the butt it is to haul water, I think my $120 investment in a good RO/DI unit is well worth it. Not to mention how many times I have seen someone post about the water they bought at their LFS having nitrates and phosphates in it. You never know how often they change the filters. One guy even did a WC with "pre-mixed saltwater" and they had forgot to mix the salt in so he ended up doing a big water change with RO/DI water. I prefer to take matters into my own hands when it comes to my water quality :)

I totally agree with this, but if you dont even have a test kit yet, i would go with the test kit. You need a tds meter too at 90 bucks plus a 120 dollar rodi unit. Still if your worried about a dead star fish and dont know what your parameters are, my first investment would not be a rodi system. We are talking about a ten gallon tank, seems like a large investment for something small, and in smaller tanks usually are stocked with very hard fish. Yep, id do a test kit

Back