buffering Questions

Nu2Reefs

Reefing newb
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help so far and here are a few more questons.
Just a few question about buffers and Alk.
I notice my tank alway runs just at the bottom of the acceptable range for Alk and pH. (2.5-3.0) & (7.8-8.2 morning to night)
Should I need to add buffer to my water for water changes
Doesn't the salt mix contain buffers?
If adding buffer, follow the directions on the packaging or should I add less to account for the buffer in the salt mix?
Should I add buffer the water used for Kalk or evaporation?

I use kent marine Pro Buffer dKH
It raises alkalinity and maintains the pH at 8.3
It will not raise the pH higher than that.

I had a problem with pH drop also and noticed that my Nitrates were high. The nitrogen cycle produces acids which bring the pH down. I solved the nitrate problem and added the buffer and been doing good since

Brian

If you are using ro water for salt mixup, you can also use Kent Marine OSMO PREP to reconstitute the ro water and provide a more stable base to mix your salt in. will help maintain water parameters.

Latest test results:
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-<5 (Not quite 0 but close) When my API test kit runs out is there a better one that will read between 0 and 5?
Alkalinity-2.84
pH-7.8
Calcium 460
Used Kent Sea Salt, aerated RO water for 3 days added salt and OSMO prep per. instructions, aerated for another 24 hours, and my pH still only 7.8 ( this was at about 1:00 so the lights have been on for 5 hours.
Any suggestions?

What is the water temperature when you test the water. did you test the makeup water before adding to your system, and what was it, or, is your testing on the main tank?. If you are doing all the things mentioned in the previous posts you can either go with bjohanson's recommendation, or you can use a 2 part additive such as c-balance or kent marine tech. Frankly something here does not compute, with kent marine salt and osmoprep something is not computing. There might be something array in your makeup procedure not sure. I would say to reevaluate your process used to prepare and effect a water change and list those procedures and time frames in a very detailed list and we can possible help determine what is going on here. Also how much of a water change did you do. In order to bring the main tank up to proper levels you need to do large water changes for a few times, or, add additional buffers OSMO and or salt. but first tell us what is your salinity. (tip-your makeup water should be mixed at main tank temperature for 24 to 48 hours. you should test your makeup water for salinity, Ph, and alkalinity prior to adding to the main tank. So bring r/o water up to proper main tank temp. before adding salt or OSMO Prep)

Last edited:
That was the tests on the tank. Both tank and new water at 76 degreees Salinity 1.025. Make up water tested Alk at 3.31. I didn't test the pH.

I just remembered I did add bag of ROWAphos to the filter. The directions said not to rinse and the brownish cloudiness would be harmless and dissipate quickly which it did. Could this have done something to the Alk. and pH?

Is is a temporary drop or do I need to add something to bring it up a little more? I have both Kent super buffer or OSMO prep on hand, but hesitant to add anything.

Rechecked again this AM with new hydrometer, Salinity is only 30/1.022
Alk.2.52 dKH 7.
1. Would the lower salinity be the cause of the other low readings?
2. Can I drip a higher Salinity into the sump to bring it up or is there a better way?
3. How high can I mix it say 3 gallons dripped at 1gal/day. Would 1.028 have enough effect or would everything useful just precipitate out because it's too high?
4. Should I add additional buffering (OSMO Prep or Super buffer dKH) as well and if so how much higher?

Last edited:
My oppinion is add the super buffer 1.021- 1.025 is an acceptable range for fish. the super buffer will equal it out at that point keep a log on your params if anything changes let us know and if you want to raise your salinity when you do a water change raise it by makeing a your water that goes in 1.023 then 1 more the next time so on and so fourth till your desired salinity is aquired thats just me.

Ok thanks.
Can you over buffer?
Instructions say 1 tsp. per 20-30 gal. but Im not sure the actual water volume in the tank. If I treat for say 60 gal. (3 tsp.) and then check it again tomorrow and retreat if needed would that be safe?

If you have fish only the salinity should be ok. If you have corals: Although the comments already given is one way of doing it, I just have a different view on how to address your problem. Dosnt mean its any better or the only way. What I would do is to bring by salinity up to full strength sea water, 1.025 at 78 - 80 degrees and then after there for 24 hours run another series of tests and see where you are. Remember to raise salinity slowly. Hope this helps to give you an additional alternative. Regardless which process you do use I wish you good luck and keep us posted on how your system is doing.

Ok, I already dosed once with the buffer. Alk up to 8 pH was 7.8 this am and 8.4 right after I turned out the lights tonight. Temp 76. We don't have a heater on the tank (usually not an issue ) I could put the small one I use to bring the makeup water to temp in there but it is very unreliable and Im not sure it is safe to run it all night. It has a thermostat but it never works correctly.

How do you bring the salinity up slowly? I had a really slow drip going in but was told in an earlier post to just do a water change. I know it desent change it all since its just a partial change but isn't that still a sudden change to raise it. I just did a water change so another option would be nice.

There are a few soft corals, (leathers and mushrooms) and a pagoda.

Last edited:
Well the first thing to do is throw away that defective heater and do not use it if it is not working properly. Now as for raising the salinity you can add makeup salt water by slow drip until the Ph is at proper level then you can use only fresh water to top off evaporation. This should not pose a probem. As far as adding buffers also, be very careful you do not spike the Ph or alkalinity to high. keep us posted. You have gotten several opinions here that are different ways to accomplish the same thing. I would recommend you decide which procedure you prefer and go with that persons procedure, otherwise it gets too complicated to use part of this one and part of that one. Just let us know who you are going to go with and contact that person to let um know to make sure its ok. Hope this helps not only on the processes but to try and uncomplicate the business. good luck, keep us posted.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice!! I'm going to restart the drip since the salt water is already made up and discontinue dosing with buffer until I see what happens when I get the salinity back up. Is the temp acceptabe for the corals as is? I know the fish can handle it as they have weathered may winters without a heater. The only type of heater the lfs here sells are the Jebo and they don't work properly.
(Ok they work they just dont shut off at the temp they are set at, I've just been using it for water changes) I figure we only have maybe another week and things will start warming up here so by the time I could order one I probably wouldn't need it.

Last edited:
Back