Buying new Bulbs

SonicGT02

Reefing newb
I've kind of lost track of when I've replaced some of my bulbs, so I'm starting to research the best prices I can find. I'll be buying 2 250w 10k MH's, 2 48' 460nm 54w Actinic and 2 48' 420nm 54w Actinic. I would like to buy Current lights, as that is what the unit is (Outer Orbit HQI/T5HO). Anyone have some suggestions??

Yeah,Don't buy Current replacement bulbs.Other companies put out bulbs that puts out nearly twice as much PAR.

I'm no expert on MH bulbs and I have no idea what look you are going for.Maybe Capt can jump in here and recommend some bulbs.I would replace the T5 actinics with ATI blue plus bulbs,though.

Reef Geek has a large section of MH and T5 bulbs.They pack very,very well.
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/Replacement_Bulbs/Metal_Halide/XM_Lighting/

OK, there are a lot of different T5 bulbs! Why such a wide range of bulbs? What does it mean by the look I'm going for? I definately want what is best for the corals. I need help!

With T-5s,different bulbs and K ratings ( color temp ) will give the tank a different look.They can either wash out the colors or make them pop,depending on the K rating of the bulbs.
The higher the K,the bluer the light.

With T-5s,different bulbs and K ratings ( color temp ) will give the tank a different look.They can either wash out the colors or make them pop,depending on the K rating of the bulbs.
The higher the K,the bluer the light.

So are we saying that I want to get the highest K rating I can? Does that go for the MH's too? So there is no problem with my Outer Orbit using them? I just want to understand as much as I can. So what brands are better or is it just personal choice?

OK, there are a lot of different T5 bulbs! Why such a wide range of bulbs? What does it mean by the look I'm going for? I definately want what is best for the corals. I need help!

What we try to do is balance what's best for corals and what is pleasing to our eyes.I might like white with a very slight blue hue or you may like it heavier in the blue range.When people run MH with no supplimental lighting.They usually run 14k-20k bulbs which give out a bluer hue.The higher the K the bluer the bulb and the less growth you will get.

Since the T5 bulbs on your system are supplimental.it really doesn't matter what bulbs you replace them with.Persoanlly,I still like to get good PAR rating bulbs is why I suggested the ATI blue plus bulbs.

Persoanlly,I still like to get good PAR rating bulbs is why I suggested the ATI blue plus bulbs.

Makes sense, but what is PAR? It sounds like I should just stick with the K ratings that came with the system.
Anyone else prefer a brand bulb other than ATI? If so what brand and why?

Last edited:
PAR is the amount of light that is put out that can be used by corals. Basically, the bag for your buck. Not all bulbs have the same PAR rating, so you want to buy a good quality brand that has a high PAR rating -- one that will put out the most light.

You can use whichever K ratings you want. If you thought your tank was too blue looking before, then try a lower K rating. If you thought it was too white, then try a higher K rating. If you liked what it looked like, then stay at the same K rating.

PAR stands for Photosynthetic Active Radiation or in other words what Biff has mentioned already.

The ATI blue plus has the highest PAR for blue bulbs.Mate them with 10-12k MH bulbs and you should get a nice balance look.Use 14k MH if you want a more bluish hue.Email or call Reef Geek,they are very knowledgeable hobbyist and can recommend what MH bulbs you might like.

ATI bulbs are very good as several have said. KZ figi purple is also very good. Bulbs aren't cheap so get the ones that are going to do the most for ya.

Back