calcium

parrotchute

DUSTOFF MEDEVAC
Was wondering why my monti wasn't growing too much, and I tested my calcium; it was at 260.

I have some aquavitro Ca - anyone have much experience with how well that stuff works? I don't really want to go through the whole process of mixing up kalkwasser or using a two-part, but that might be what it comes to.

Before you ask, I'm using instant ocean salt..

You salt is the reason your calcium is low.And the low calcium is the reason your monti dont seem to be growing.
I've never used the Aquavitro calcium,but I've customer at the LFS bragging on it.

Maybe you can try using purple up to raise your calcium...it seems easier to use, and won't affect anything else.

Your salt is fine. Instant Ocean averages around 400 ppm calcium. Exactly which Aquavitro product do you have? Some of their supplements are weak solutions and you may need a couple bottles to get your calcium levels up. Check for Kent TurboCalcium. It's a good, cheap ca supplement. Have you tested your alk and magnesium?

Don't waste your $$ on PurpleUp.

Bummer because this thing of salt is 2/3 full..not sure I want to drop $50 for more...what salt do you use? what's everyone else without a can reactor doing to raise can?

I like Kent Liquid Reactor. That's what I use. As for salt, I use either Oceanic, Kent Marine or Seachem Reef -- whatever is on sale at the time I need to buy salt.

HThanks...haven't checked alk or mag (mag test is such a pain) but I'll try to check tomorrow. If alk s low, then what? Im suspecting it will be since ca is so low right after a water change. I'm under the impression magnesium doesn't affect ca readings but instead corals' ability to absorb it....?

I use oceanic mostly but Instant ocean as well. I use brightwell part A and B calcium and alkalinity buffer as well as magnesion-p.

you are correct about the magnesium, alkalinity also is important for proper calcium consumption.

I just ordered Kent Tech CB 2 part for calcium. Also ordered reef builder for alk, and some more reef buffer (I currently use that for pH stability). Hopefully that will help keep my calc up...
How often do you guys test for calcium? Seems like it'd go through tests pretty quickly testing it often.

I also use IO salt. I was using Tropic marin bio-calcium for many months. I switched to some 2 part liquid (not B-ionic, I forget the name) that I got free at the local reefer holiday party. It worked but the corals were not at their best. I went back to Tropic Marin and I think everything likes it better. It has all the other trace stuff you need and does alk too.

i use the bulkreef two-part and love it it is good quality and very cheap as compared to buying little bottles of cal,alk and mag suplements

I agree with steelcity . I have tried a few other popular brands of Calcium supplements and keep going back to TM because my tank always seems to do better. I am trying their new Bio Actif Salt on my 60gallon mixed reef and have kept using regular TM salt in my 90 gallon to compare the results.

Last edited:
UH, so dumb question. I just got my kent 2-part formula, and the instructions aren't too clear. Anyone know HOW to use it with more explanation or tips & tricks to getting it right? I just needed to raise CA, and it seemed from the directions that I only needed to add one part (part A)

Back