California and Caulerpa Ban

RockStacker

Reefing newb
I just wanted to share some info regarding California's stance on caulerpa.
I am not sure if this has been posted on this forum already, but a few searches on the forum did not get any hits.

I am not endorsing or opposing the ban. I am simply relaying what has been written as laws and ordinances.

First off, on a state level California has declared 9 specific species of caulerpa as banned.
Fish stores that sell them intentionally and hobbyists that propagate them are subject to fines. They can be forgiven if they properly dispose of the banned stock.

Here's a visual guide to the 9 species.
http://swr.nmfs.noaa.gov/hcd/caulerpa/9_Species_Brochure.pdf

Some general information on caulerpa declared as invasives.
Noxious Algae Found In Southern California Coastal Waters

It is worth noting too that San Diego county has banned ALL caulerpa species. Again, enforcement is on a reasonable level and hobbyists are given the opportunity to properly dispose of their stock in order to avoid fines.

Some more tidbits regarding caulerpa:

The most common (and hardiest) caulerpa making its rounds in California reefers' tanks would be caulerpa serrulata. Or "sawblade" caulerpa.
With the exception of San Diego county, this caulerpa is not banned. However, it is considered highly undesirable anyway and easily gets out of control.
Marine Species Identification Portal : Cactus tree alga - Caulerpa serrulata

In bright light, this caulerpa grows short and stubby blades and are opaque bright green. In the shade, they grow long slender blades that are almost translucent.

From personal experience, I have observed the following fish readily eat caulerpa serrulata:
Powder Blue Tang
Kole Tang
Naso Tang
Yellow Tang (on someone else's tank).

I have also observed caulerpa serrulata "go sexual" in my tanks a few times.
These are the signs:
1. Caulerpa colonies turn while and appear hollow.
2. Water gets cloudy with milky, greenish-white gunk.
3. The hollow caulerpa eventually disintegrates.
4. If not addressed, several new stands of caulerpa will colonize the tank.
5. Water chemistry is also fouled up by this.

Water changes and carbon filtration is highly recommended if caulerpa explodes in your tank.
People say that caulerpa going sexual in the tank kills everything. This may be true to a certain extent.
This is not due to any plant-based toxins within the caulerpa, but due to the massive release of built up nitrogen and phospates. The large scale decomposition of the dead algae also adds to the troubles in the tank.

Anecdotal evidence also shows that regularly pruning caulerpa colonies postpones them from going sexual. When I had caulerpa in my tanks I pruned them a lot and this seems to have stopped them from going sexual.

They reproduce sexually and asexually.
Even if they do not go sexual in your tank, controlling their growth or eradicating them is a challenge because even a single floating blade could have enough living material to start its own colony.

Thanks for sharing this!

I just want to add that caulerpa is banned because it can easily grow out of control and choke out native species of algae if it became introduced to the coastal regions.

And to properly kill caulerpa you have removed from the tank, you need to leave it in the sun for a few days to totally dry out before tossing it. Otherwise they can survive and grow elsewhere

My apologies everyone, it turns out that merely drying the caulerpa out in the sun is not enough to guarantee 100% death :shock:

Per SCCAT, the proper procedure is to place the caulerpa and any attached substrate in a plastic bag and freeze it for 24 hours and dispose of it in a trash container destined for a landfill.

Here's the official link with complete instructions:
SCCAT [THE CAULERPA INFORMATION CENTER] Southern California Caulerpa Action Team

My method was to dry out the caulerpa in the sun and instead of throwing it away, I add it as organic amendment to my garden soil :)

So is the general consensus not to use this in a refugium? Someone gave me some of it growing together with chaeto. Should I try to remove it? If I have it in the refugium can it spread to the main tank? (I do have a bubble trap foam thing between the refugium and pump that would catch any big pieces that come off). Just today I noticed some of it turned white and I thought it was dying off so I removed those strands, now I realize it may have been going sexual, so I hope my tank is okay :shock:

So is the general consensus not to use this in a refugium? Someone gave me some of it growing together with chaeto. Should I try to remove it? If I have it in the refugium can it spread to the main tank? (I do have a bubble trap foam thing between the refugium and pump that would catch any big pieces that come off). Just today I noticed some of it turned white and I thought it was dying off so I removed those strands, now I realize it may have been going sexual, so I hope my tank is okay :shock:

Its not recommended I guess if you live in Cali, because of the possibility of it escaping the tank and ending up in the ocean.

I dont know where you are in Cali, but several dumps are pretty close to the ocean. Close enough for a bird to pick some up and carry out there or have it washed down by rain.

Better safe than sorry IMO! And there are several less invasive and prettier macro algae out there to put in your fuge :)

I dont know where you are in Cali, but several dumps are pretty close to the ocean. Close enough for a bird to pick some up and carry out there or have it washed down by rain.

Better safe than sorry IMO! And there are several less invasive and prettier macro algae out there to put in your fuge :)

Yes of course, birds! And rain too. Why didn't I think of that.

Do you recommend something other than chaeto? It doesn't seem to be doing so well, but maybe it's being choked out by the caulerpa right now and will recover when I pull that out? I'm also afraid its not doing well because I have zero nitrates (long story, I added something once to remove nitrates and now I don't get any, yes I've tried different test kits)

When I set up my first fuge, I had caulerpa in it. It eventually spread to the display tank (I assume like Wonton said). It became a problem. Unlike chaeto, caulerpa has runners that it attaches to rocks and sand with, so it's very difficult to remove once you have a lot of it. Chaeto is free floating, so if you want to get rid of it, you just reach in and pull it out. Much easier to handle than caulerpa if some gets in the display. Also, chaeto just works much better for the purpose of a refugium macro algae, IMO.

If your chaeto isn't doing well, but the caulerpa is, it may very well be being outcompeted by the caulerpa. It could also, as you suspect, be that there just isn't enough "food" in the system to keep it going. Other common reasons for chaeto to not do well are insufficient light and flow.

I would recommend using chaeto, but you can check out this site for some other pretty stuff. What they are selling tends to be seasonal, so i would check back every so often.

Live Plants/Macroalgae for saltwater and reef aquariums

Actually I did buy some Gracilaria from them one time and put it in my 55 a while back. It came in tiny pieces I had to super glue it to rocks...then my turbo knocked them all off and that was the end of that:grumble:

I don't care if it's pretty, I just want it to improve water quality. My refugium is hidden.

Can Caulerpa spread to your main tank?

You bet it can!
DSC_0527.jpg

Back