can any please explane why my fish died

mdottyp

Reefing newb
Hi, i am confused, my black spotted yellow cube fish (boston bean cow fish), has just died, i noticed a coliflower wart on it mouth, and my local aquarium shop, and my book told me to leave it, and it is viral, he started to act strange like hiding away and lodging him self on and inbetween rocks, the collyflower fell of but he got white stuff allover him. my rocks have plenty of growth, with green and maroon colours, my ammonia is zero, and my nitRATE is 12.5 mg, which i belive is ok , according to my test kits instructions, my protien skimmer seems fine and my filter is working well with crystal clear water, and best of all my other fish all seem fine, i stock two clowns one newley added, a blue tang newly added and a humbug and a small crab, can any one help as i have worked hard to get this far and as you will all know i have spent heck of a lot of money, please help :frustrat:

box fish or cow fish are very difficult to keep, he just may have died with no real reason. Did your LFS treat him with copper? they should never be treated with copper for extended periods of time.

Unfortunatley it was probably nothing to do with your tank, just a hard fish to keep.

What are the rest of your parameters?

I agree with Winy, just being kept in a tank with other fish may have been enough to stress and kill it. They really should be kept alone, and are a fish best left to experts only. One of the toughest fish to keep happy, and most people do not have any success with them.

How long had you had the fish? And did he ever eat?

Super cute little guys with a poor survival rate. Everyones comments could be the case. Not liking the tankmates, or some other mysterious reason. Sorry to hear it man

I agree with Winy, just being kept in a tank with other fish may have been enough to stress and kill it. They really should be kept alone, and are a fish best left to experts only. One of the toughest fish to keep happy, and most people do not have any success with them.

How long had you had the fish? And did he ever eat?

he seemed fine he eat every feeding time, i had him for three weeks gutted

It has happened to all of us at some point. Here today, gone tomorrow. Even more true in this hobby. I know it doesn't help much and I'm sure there is a reason, but sometimes we as hobbyists just can't figure why it has happened. Everything seems normal but there is some under lying problem we don't or can't see. That is one of the most frustrating things about this hobby. :frustrat: Makes you want to throw the towel in sometimes. But then there's always a reason not to when there's that something little that gives you hope and joy again.

Back