Can ich be transported on live rock??

fishmom

Certified Hospice Nurse
Wondering if ich can come into a tank transported by live rock. (?)

I have 2 stores that are my source of LR
1) is much closer to home and has a KNOWN problem with ich on their fish...

2) Is nearly a 'day trip" but their stock of saltwater "stuff" is mindboggling! tanks are pristine and the worst thing I ever brought home was a handful of aptasia....

Obviously store #1 is by far $$
store #2 is a true "investment" (time and $$$$)

I am wanting to get more LR in this tank since we have been forced into a "do-over"....something else to add to my Santa list.
Thanks
~debi~

Ick technically needs a host "fish" to be transported, but I believe that the eggs can be transported on the rocks. Someone else will chime in. :)

Ick technically needs a host "fish" to be transported, but I believe that the eggs can be transported on the rocks. Someone else will chime in. :)

You are correct.....if its wet it can carry ich....
Store #2 sounds like a great place to do your buisness,IMO

I really, really, REALLY prefer store #2.....I have to "plan" a trip there and fortunately makes my vists less frequent........because if they were across the street I would likely have to enter re-hab..........

If your tank is currently without fish,you can add all the LR to it and just wait 4 weeks maximum ,probably 2 minimum ,and if any ich was present, it will starve without a fish....all and any inverts can not "host" ich,but can carry it.....ich is a fish only disease ....I would suggest A QT though...LR can bring in all kinds of nasty critters....JMO...
Good luck ,have fun:Cheers:

You could just order dry rocks, which will be much cheaper and bad guy free. You only need a few pounds of live rock, the rest will turn live in no time at all.

Save your money for cool fish and corals

I agree with everyone so far -- if you want your tank to be ich free, either add the rocks to the tank and wait 4 weeks before adding fish, or buy dry rocks.

You could just order dry rocks, which will be much cheaper and bad guy free. You only need a few pounds of live rock, the rest will turn live in no time at all.

Save your money for cool fish and corals

"..in no time"....like months, .....weeks......?????

P.S. ...... When looking over the "dry/white" rock the very knowledgeable young lady at the lfs insisted I would need to buy some sort of bacteria/"seeding" stuff???

Maybe now you know why I stay confused...:frustrat:

The bacteria/seeding stuff that you need is simply another piece of live rock. Live rock is "live" because of the bacteria that is living on it.

I am sure the girl KNEW I already had a good bit of live rock....at least 35+ pounds......

That is what I knew to begin with.....she just wanted to steer me back to the tank of live rock.

Hmmm,you could easily "seed" base rock with that amount of live...Almost all of us did it this way...i started with about 30lbs and over time i just kept adding base....i'm sure i have over 150 lbs now.....i think this is your best bet...it will take time.....couple months,but it really doesn't matter too much because you already have some live to start with..

Back