canister filter for polishing/carbon

tankedchemist

Reef enthusiast
I want to start running carbon and polishing my water after my water changes. So I got a fluval 205, and some of their "polishing pads" which is basically just cotton, I think. Anyway, I set the thing up as instructed, but it keeps spewing micro bubbles around. what have I done wrong?

I only want to run the canister for a day or so every two weeks, if that long. I have no experience with this kind of filter, so feel free to offer obvious suggestions too.

thanks!

Everybody gets down on canisters but if you really keep them clean they could work. Question is how much time do you want to spend cleaning it? If you have something really bad in your tank like a nitrate or ammonia spike or you get a toxin in there like copper --the canister, with the right media, could save your tank.

when i had one the micro bubbles were be caused by a power head that was placed to close to it, i guess it was pushing air or water in it, try surronding the intake with some rocks and see if that helps or move any power heads that are close to the intake

how much flow is going through it?

cavitation?

Uhm, it's listed at 180 GPH.... if that's accurate or not, I have no idea.

are you running a sump/fuge?

yes to both

when i had one the micro bubbles were be caused by a power head that was placed to close to it, i guess it was pushing air or water in it, try surronding the intake with some rocks and see if that helps or move any power heads that are close to the intake

I think you may be on to something here... I moved it, and the bubbles do seem reduced. Not eliminated, but maybe they're just stuck in the filter or something

Back