Cannister filters for saltwater

Do you have a pic or your skimmer so I have a better idea of what you mean? How would you set up the eggcrate? Where would you put the chemical media (carbon, etc...)so there's no "passive" filtration?

Last edited:
What kind of pump would you guys recommend for my return as far as gph? I'm looking at getting the lifereef prefilter/overflow box. It recommends 900gph but do I really need something with that much gph for my 44 gal?

Last edited:
After several days of research and looking at sump designs, I finally found one that meets my size requirements perfectly on youtube. What do you all think? I've decided to not use the plastic bin since I can build a bigger sump with tempered glass that holds about 7.5 gal of water vs the bin that holds only 5 gal. I've ditched the Seaclone skimmer and I have a backup nano biocube skimmer for now until I decide on a bigger or better one. I'm thinking of the Tunze 9002 skimmer that seems to have great review on different sites.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk0STPBCdok][08] Biocube Custom Sump-Refugium - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
I've gone through two Cascade 700 canister filters within less than 2 years. They have each ended up leaking heavily by the 10th month of use. The warranty is horrible also. It's a 3yr warranty but you are resposible for the shipping both ways which ends up being over $50. Why not buy a new one at that shipping price?

I have a 44 gal. fish only tank (saltwater). Can anyone suggest a reliable cannister/brand I can use?

get rid of the canister. sump style is the best way to go all around.

I finally got pics of my sump today after doing a water change. Phone is charging now, I'll upload and post the pics for you tomorrow!

What's the difference between 100 and 200 micron when talking about filter socks? What do you guys think about this pump for my return (Hydor Seltz L40 -740gph $46.69)? It has a built in flow control. I plan on getting a Lifereef nano prefilter overflow box.
lg-71288-51051-fish-supply.jpg

Last edited:
That is how big the holes are in the sock, the larger the number, the more the sock will let through.

I am not sure that pump will work very well. Once you factor in the head loss, that isn't going to move very much water. I think you will need a bigger pump.

Excellent choice in return, it is the absolute best on the market I would not recommend any other one.

Hi everyone its been a while....had to put my sump project on hold. I'm thinking of getting a sock-it unit from BRS with a 1" inlet. I'm gonna connect a 1" flexible pvc to the inlet. What do I use to hold the pvc tight into place so it doesn't slip off and flood my carpet? A hose clamp? what size would I need for a 1" inlet and tubing?

Last edited:
Being that filter socks clog up fairly and need cleaning every day or two to avoid overflowing, what should I do if I go on vacation for a few weeks If there's no caretaker? Just take the filter sock off while gone? I'm guessing it's not really a big deal if I leave the sock off?

Last edited:
If I get 1" flexible PVC tubing what size plastic clamps should I get to hold it in place to the outflow side of the water pump? should the clamps be exactly 1" outside diameter or should I get a little bigger...1.5" OD for a little slack?

Back