Can't get Nitrates below 40mg/l

Temperature should be between 76 and 82 degrees F (you'll have to convert that for me!). Salinity should be between 1.022 and 1.026. Those won't have anything to do with your algae, though.

I would feed your fish once a day, or once every other day. My tank gets fed one time every two days.
I have been feeding them far too much, do you feed your corals often and with what?
your advice has been so helpful thank you

I feed my corals every other day when I feed the fish. I use frozen foods only -- no flakes or pellets. If you are using flakes or pellets, you should switch to frozen. Flakes and pellets can contain preservatives that can fuel algae.

I feed my corals every other day when I feed the fish. I use frozen foods only -- no flakes or pellets. If you are using flakes or pellets, you should switch to frozen. Flakes and pellets can contain preservatives that can fuel algae.
Thanks Sarah, I have been using flake, what frozen food do you use?

+1All the above.
Allen,exactly how long has your been set up?
Get rid of ALL the mechanical filtration. Cut what you feed in half and back to once every other day.
All that brow stuff you mentioned will become food for the little filter feeders on your rock and in the sand.The pods will also feed on it.
Keep up with your changes and just give it time.

+1All the above.
Allen,exactly how long has your been set up?
Get rid of ALL the mechanical filtration. Cut what you feed in half and back to once every other day.
All that brow stuff you mentioned will become food for the little filter feeders on your rock and in the sand.The pods will also feed on it.
Keep up with your changes and just give it time.

I have been set up since April 2010, but what can I say except thanks, you guys on that side of the pond know your marine business, I removed all the filter media except the carbon sock and 12+ hours later the nitrate levels have fallen to around 25mg/l from 40mg/l, have cut back feeding to half of a frozen cube every other day, cant wait to test the water in 48hrs, if doesn't come down will remove the carbon sock, thanks guys and of course Sarah

Another thing.MOST tanks arent really mature enough to convert the nitrates,until their closer to a year old.Just do what was suggested,keep up with your water changes and give it time.You'll get there.

I bet it was the flakes that fueled the nitrates. If they make it to the bottom the fish won't touch it =( That's why I like frozen foods if any of that made it to the bottom or cought in the rocks the CUC and night feeders will have it taken care of within a day :D

I have been set up since April 2010, but what can I say except thanks, you guys on that side of the pond know your marine business, I removed all the filter media except the carbon sock and 12+ hours later the nitrate levels have fallen to around 25mg/l from 40mg/l, have cut back feeding to half of a frozen cube every other day, cant wait to test the water in 48hrs, if doesn't come down will remove the carbon sock, thanks guys and of course Sarah

That is great news Allen. Glad it's working out for you.:Cheers:

I actually see another issue, your tank is 250 litres? so that is just 70g in size, i get a feeling you might be stocking a bit heavy there with 12 fish and 2 of them being tangs. Someone here can tell me if im wrong on that, but it feels like a lot with large sized fish. If im wrong disregard this, just felt like a lot to me! lol

but im glad the nitrates have come down to 25 :D but this might help keep it under control a bit if you check your fish, or possibly may just mean you cant stock the tank anymore than what you have.

Guys, I really need some help my nitrates are at 40mg/l and no matter what I try they stay the same, my tank is 250L but with the 90kg of live rock there is probably only 160L of water, I do a 10% water change weekly, yesterday I changed 75L and still the water shows 40mg/l, in the sump I have in the refugium, live rock and lots of chaeto, the filter consists of carbon in a very fine sock in the bottom, 4" of foam, floss, a Seachems di-nitrate filter and more floss, attached is photo's of my sump and a sketch

I have now removed all the filter media except the carbon sock from the tank, will check nitrate level soon, one question perhaps can be answered, can the salt crystals have any bearing on nitrate levels, I have been using Instant Ocean Crystals, I have now changed to Red Sea Crystals, I have still got half bucket of IOC and do not want to waste it if it does not have an effect on my nitrate levels.

I actually see another issue, your tank is 250 litres? so that is just 70g in size, i get a feeling you might be stocking a bit heavy there with 12 fish and 2 of them being tangs. Someone here can tell me if im wrong on that, but it feels like a lot with large sized fish. If im wrong disregard this, just felt like a lot to me! lol

but im glad the nitrates have come down to 25 :D but this might help keep it under control a bit if you check your fish, or possibly may just mean you cant stock the tank anymore than what you have.
Thanks Josh, I dont intend to increase the stock any higher than what is in there now, i hope its not over stocked as it would be difficult to know what to try and remove

Salt crystals will not have an effect on your nitrate levels, so finish off what you have.

cheers mate, well pleased about that, just carried out 30L water change and turned skimmer back on and does not seem to want to work what a nightmare this hobby is have adjusted the air flow but no bubbles, would you remove the carbon sock from my filter area?

Last edited:
I would personally remove the carbon, i dont like running artificial things in my tank unless i need it 100%. Run it once a month for 1-2 days if you want to be using it, but you dont need it for more than that. Carbon can clean up the tank in certain ways but most people here will not use it all the time.

cheers mate, well pleased about that, just carried out 30L water change and turned skimmer back on and does not seem to want to work what a nightmare this hobby is have adjusted the air flow but no bubbles, would you remove the carbon sock from my filter area?
My skimmer just did something similar and stopped working =(
I just took it outside took it apart and sprayed it out really good.
Now it works better than ever!

I'm going to have to disagree with y'all about the filter sock...if you change it every 1-3 days. Think of all the crap you're removing by doing that. Congrats about the 'trates, by the way.

Back