CaribSea Black Sand

I'm pretty sure thats what I have. If I had to do it again, I would get something a little finer. The bigger grain sands seem to trap food and detritus and cause nitrates to stay high-ish.

This says "instant aquarium" on the bag and in the description, it reads, " Packed with living, water-purifying bacteria, state of the art clarifier, and a complete water conditioner to streamline aquarium use." Does this still mean it's ok to use in my reef tank? Adding this shouldn't cause a cycle, could it?

I have that one, and it is pretty fine. The problem I've had is that there are particles in it that are magnitized, meaning they stick to the mag float and scratch the glass. When I added it I just put it in a bucket, added some water and rinsed it pretty good, then added it to the tank in cup fulls. It didn't cause a cycle and didn't cause a sand storm.

I have heard that at least some of it is magnetized, which leads me to worry about iron leaching....but...even bigger than that....everybody I've known who had it said it was a dirty dog to keep looking clean, as detritis shows badly...

Like was mentioned, it can get up on your magnetic cleaners and scratch the glass and it looks dirty...that's some long term how it is.....

Yes it is safe. I've actually found it to look much cleaner than white sand and do prefer it. I haven't found any trouble with leaching bad stuff, and only a handful of particles seem to be magnitized.... but those few that are magnitized do find their way onto your magfloat and do scratch your glass. Not a huge deal if you just use a scrapper near the bottom of the tank instead of the magfloat. IMO it is safe and did not cause a cycle.

Wait, that wasn't supposed to sound nasty.....it did....sorry....

No worries, just a little nervous trying this sand out as there are mixed reviews. Suppose I should simply get used to that in this hobby. For every positive there is a negative. Thank you for your feedback! :D

Back