Centerpiece Fish

Nedim

Reefing newb
I got the damsels the other day. I took what appears to be 3 green and 2 blue chromis. They school and the slight contrast in colors is nice. My levels in my tank are finally good. Ammonia is 0, pH is FINALLY at 8.2. The reef crystals worked like a charm. Now that I have like 7 small fish, I want to get one fish as like a centerpiece. What would work well for my 46g? I have a firefish, 5 chromis and a coral beauty angel. Any ideas?

I'd say you already have it -- the angel. But maybe if you wanted something that would stand out, you could get a strawberry pseudochromis, royal dottyback or a sixline wrasse.

Not a big fan of hawkfish. Im doing some reasearch online right now, but I cant seem to find anything size appropriate.

Needs 100 gallons. Also will eat your cleaner crew :(. I think that 46 gallons will really limit you when it comes to big fish.

Yeah, I was just at liveaquaria and it says 70g minimum. The reason I asked is because centralpets.com says 40g minimum

Seems like u have a pretty peaceful tank. so id say the niger trigger fish is outta the question. but if intrested in triggers, bursa triggers [15-2 dollars]seem to be far less agressive as other triggers.

however my two choices would be between eitehr of these:

even though some sites say x amount of gallons for it but check into a Blue Tang [29dollars on liveaquaria], purchase it as a baby, usually considered tiny 1/2-3/4", that should grow bigger but will grow and not be as stressed in a 46g tank.

or as many people have Clownfish seem to also be the most noticable fish in a tank. maybe get a mated pair? if goin clownfish id do something a tad different, maybe Gold stripe maroon clowns [$70a mated pair/25 single], or Black and White Percula/or Black and White Ocellaris [tend to go for 140+ for mated pair/ 45single]

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't put a blue tang (even a small one) in a 46 gallon, unless you are prepared to risk your entire tank getting ich. They are notoriously prone to it.

The clown pair sounds like a good idea. If you don't mind spending the cash, what about a fairy wrasse? They usually are around 4 inches long.

I've had horrible luck with clowns. I've tried a sebae and an ocelaris and both got sucked into filters. As for the blue tang, which one? I looked them up last night and theres like 4 that go by that name. Biff, I'm running a UV Sterilizer, shouldn't that take care of the ich?

I can't think of any butterflyfish that a) can go in a 46 gallon tank, b) doesn't have difficult feeding needs, and/or c) is reef safe.

What about a pair of Banggai Cardinals?

Stop thinking biff.
A) several need a 50, 46 is close enough
B)The'll snack on polyps if they get hungry
C)good point :)

OK bad suggestion on my part.

Nedim said:
I've had horrible luck with clowns. I've tried a sebae and an ocelaris and both got sucked into filters. As for the blue tang, which one?

Biff is more knowledgeable than i am so keep that in mind.
but since u asked I believe its a blue Hippo tang
check here: Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blue Tang

if u do the clown, do a bubble tip anemone with either of the ones i listed prior

if not how about a Harlequin Tusk http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=380

if ur really good, Flash light fish, Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Flashlight Fish
a LFS has one, and that thing is great.

Last edited:
A hippo tang I believe is like 70g +

If not, Id like to get it or the Harlequin Tusk. Thanks a million for the posts everyone.

many websites say 70g for the hippo tang, but ive seen them in 50 gallon tanks doing fine... was told that you gotta purchase them tiny tho. also Biff said they are prone to ich.

the tusk has some fabolous coloring so you cant go wrong there.

Just read that tusks are invert eaters. Im gonna pass on that one. Seriously considering the hippo tang however.

Back