Citron Clown Goby starving

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I inherited a citron clown goby with a 20g tank I got off another reefer about 2 months ago. He's slowly been getting skinnier and skinnier and now he's at a point where he's virtually a skeleton. I feed him mysis but I think the pieces might be too large. (he was reportedly eating mysis and brine at his old home). I've begun to feed more often and he shows interest but only goes for the large pieces, which he carries around and then never actually eats. I still have my 10g tank up and running but haven't moved him over yet. It is absolutely teaming with pods - they are covering every inch of the rocks in that tank. Would a clown goby eat pods? If so I will move him over asap and see if I can save him, then look into finding a smaller food for him once he's looking better. What do you think?

He should eat them. It's damned if you do, damned if you don't time -- leave him, he might starve to death. Move him, he might die from the stress or if he survives the move, at least he'll have pods to eat and hopefully fatten him up.

But wait, is the 10g already cycled? Anyone else in the 10g that might bull him? Try suctioning out some of the pods and squirt it near him. Maybe he'll eat them.

I'd just keep trying to spot feed him using the mysis and brine shrimp. Chances are he's getting some food, and once he settles in more, he'll start eating more. Good luck with him, I hope he does well for you.

I had one die lat year. Same thing he was fat when I got him then he starved to death, but before he died he was loving cyclopeeze. I used a plastic pipette and fed him small amounts 3 times a day. He was getting fatter but then died.
Good luck.

Have you tried feeding him ova? My bicolor blenny is about the size of a full grown clown goby and he loves it. In fact, all of my fish love it. Worth a try.

Got a green clown goby and IS a finicky eater. Prefers to hide in rock rather than eat. But I take a Cyclop-Eeze popcycle and it disintegrates in the water. With so many little bits floating around its hard for my goby not to eat.

Thank you guys for all the suggestions!! I fed him some brine tonight, which breaks up better than the mysis, and he went crazy for it. I watched him actually swallow several pieces. He carried a few others around before spiting them out but at least I know he got some. I have some cyclopeeze on hand that I'll try as well. I tried the pellets in the beginning with him and he wouldn't touch them, but I didn't think to try the frozen. Let's see if we can save this fishy! I'll keep you posted :)

Back