clam...?good idea or no...

ok i have the lights,2 x250w mh...10k.......good water quality..all my levels have been at 0...all reef safe fish.good water flow..the tank has been up for more than a year...what else do i need...125g reef tank.

Are you supposed to coat the bottom of the clam with aquarium puddy or something to protect their underside? I seem to remember reading something about that..

I placed mine on a flat rock. Once it was attached, I was able to move it around the tank to find a suitable spot. If you place it directly in the sand, it could attach to your aquarium glass and then be almost imposible to remove later.

No, do not use putty of glue of any sort to try and attach it. It has a "foot" on the bottom that it uses to attach itself, and move if need be.

I have tons of bristle worms. IMO, they are attacking the clam because it is already dying. Most likely from an injured foot.

If you think of it, there are bristle worms in the wild and there is no one putting epoxy on the clams to protect them.

I believe that it is just a marketing ploy to try and sell their epoxy.

Read up on clams, some prefer to be on sand (derasa and squamosa ) while others prefer rock (crocea) I think your fine though, I've had a derasa in my tank for some time. It was doing well till my Majestic developed a taste for it

Derasea (sp) is an easier clam, that don't need a whole lot of light and they grow quick...but not as vibrantly colored.
Crocea's and maxima's will do well for you also...brightly colored and need a more intense lighting.

its better to get a bigger clam.the bigger clams feed more off zooxanthelle than the water they suck in.i like derasa clams.if you can get a nice one.take your time buying a clam.clams that are not attached to anything will move on there own.i wanted my first derasa on a rock but it wasnt my choice.its better to get a clam thats not attached because then it can do what it wants in your tank.witch makes it happy.like an anemone.just clams move weird there not very good at it.they suck in water and blow it out to move.

Back