Clam it Up

andysgirl8800

Blenny Badlands
So happy! I finally have a CLAM :^::bounce::mrgreen:. I've been holding off for SO long, too afraid my system wasn't stable enough to support a clam. But things have been running smoothly for more than a year now. No sign of the evil dinos that plagued my tank, a healthy and thriving fish population, excellelnt coralline growth, and consistent parameter readings. So, I took the plunge:

croceaclam.jpg

Now if only I could muster up the courage for an anemone....

Congrats! I also am dying for a clam but until my tank is algae free I'm not getting one.

that was kind of my feelings on the matter as well. I did not want to put something so pretty into such an algae-infested tank. I wanted to be sure eveything was under control first.

Very nice, beautiful color. I am going to look at some clams tomorrow. I've been wanting one for a long time very exciting

They are very easy to keep as bifferwine has said.
I hope you have leds over your aquarium, as clams need constant reliable light and resistance lighting fades and by the time you change the tubes or bulbs, the clams have suffered a great deal.
They like nitrate and phos at levels that will kill sps, with in the mantel the algae around their eyes are greatly different to corals.
You protect their underneath, keep temps low, give them lots of feeds into the aquariums waters and constant exposure to good lightings emitted colours and they are hard to kill!
My little ones came at fingernail size a while back and thrive.
I have scraped them off three times now and moved them around and no problems at all
3clams-all-three-15-09-13-_zps2ed5e3e5.jpg

And a not so pretty one that when I bought it thought it was pretty,lol.
2clam-brown-15-09-13-_zpsbd19cd9c.jpg

Last edited:
Woah, nice zombie thread brought back from the dead. :)

Clams are definitely cool.
Derasa are the easiest and grow really fast.

The only thing i hate about clams... they look AMAZING when viewed from the top... but they get so drab when looking through the glass. lol

Back