Cleaning used dry rock

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I picked up 65lbs of rock off of CL that someone had after dismantling their reef tank - and oh my is this rock *stunning*!!! It's been dry for some time now and I know I'll need to reseed the bacteria with live rock, but in the mean time I need to clean it up - got some dried black algae, etc., in places. Went to my LFS last night to ask how to clean it, they told me to soak it in water that is 10g of water to 1/2cup of bleach to kill whatever algae is on the rock, then scrub it with a soft-bristled brush, then soak it in a separate bucket of just water with some dechlorinator added, and repeat the rinsing process a few times if it still smelled like chlorine. Does this sound about right to you guys?? I bought a very small bottle of dechlorinator and buckets to soak the rocks in, but thought I'd get your input before starting! How long should I leave it soaking do you think? Few hours, overnight, etc.?

Thanks!!

be sure to give that stuff a really good scrub, all the rotting materials that stays on there will only prolong your eventual cycle

I picked up 65lbs of rock off of CL that someone had after dismantling their reef tank - and oh my is this rock *stunning*!!! It's been dry for some time now and I know I'll need to reseed the bacteria with live rock, but in the mean time I need to clean it up - got some dried black algae, etc., in places. Went to my LFS last night to ask how to clean it, they told me to soak it in water that is 10g of water to 1/2cup of bleach to kill whatever algae is on the rock, then scrub it with a soft-bristled brush, then soak it in a separate bucket of just water with some dechlorinator added, and repeat the rinsing process a few times if it still smelled like chlorine. Does this sound about right to you guys?? I bought a very small bottle of dechlorinator and buckets to soak the rocks in, but thought I'd get your input before starting! How long should I leave it soaking do you think? Few hours, overnight, etc.?

Thanks!!

I used bleach BUT I had to use lots of dechlorinator and then rinse and then repeat several times. If you can smell bleach it ain't ready for your tank.

Okay, dechlorinating the heck out of the rock, after rinsing very well during scrubbing - used a lot of elbow grease today! The black algae comes right off, but the branching coral has a lot of green stuff on it that won't come off even after scouring it. Is has a slight algae smell to it, but feels like rock (not slimy or anything). Should I be concerned about it? Hoping it doesn't lead to future outbreaks in my tank....

Great! That's what I was hoping for - thanks!! Now I just need to get another 50lb of dry rock and something to seed it all with (been browsing rock all weekend and have it narrowed down to a few choices, decisions decisions LOL)!

So I bleached and dechlorinated my rock, but left half of it in the dechlorinator solution too long and when I pulled it out yesterday it was full of algae. So, I started the bleaching process again last night, this time using RO/DI water and a higher bleach to water ratio. I only got about the half the tub filled with RO/DI water but wanted to start it anyway, so dumped some bleach in and let it sit. I just got home from work and what a HUGE difference! The parts of the rocks that were submersed in the new bleach solution are soo much better, almost no green on them at all! And the parts that were out of water are still a green mess! Got the RO/DI unit running now to fill the rest of the bin, but I am super impressed this time around! I think I'm going to bring some of the ones I did before and thought were okay back home and bleach them again! Amazing!

Just so you are aware, bleaching your rocks out now wont save your from the normal new tank algaes. The spores will hitchhike in somehow.

Thanks, little_fish. I figured it wouldn't get rid of all the spores, and know algae problems always come with a new tank (and that some algae is a good thing to feed critters!). I just thought that putting already green and hairy rocks in a new tank before its cycled and weeks before I'll have a clean up crew probably wasn't the best way to start!

True, I just dont want you chasing some impossible goal

Thanks, and well said! The second bleaching on the hairy rocks seems reasonable, but maybe bringing the rocks back from my office to rebleach is unnecessary (they weren't hairy, just green!), so I'll let go of that idea!

So I pulled the last of my bleached rock out of the dechlorinating bath last night and one piece in particular still smells like bleach. I'm out of dechlorinator and am wondering if I can get away with not dechlorinating it again? I do still have some tap water treatment at home that I could use if needed, but not dechlorinator specifically (and at this point would prefer to save money given how much I've spent lately). If I put it in my tank as is, would the process of cycling the tank and water changes get the remaining chlorine out? Or would there be long term ramifications on future fish and corals if I don't dechlorinate it fully now? I'm probably several weeks away from putting even inverts in my tank at this point and wondering if that is enough time for the rock to dechlorinate on its own in my tank? Thanks!

Back