Clicking noise, goby compatibility, nocturnal aiptasia?

Tristan

Detritus
Sometimes at night i hear clicking noise 4-5 times in a row. coming from my aquarium, everyone in my aquarium are still alive, so im guessing that it's not a mantis. A pistol shrimp maybe, though i have yet to see any other evidence that it is one. are there any other possibilities?
-----------------------------------
in my 55 gal. would a yellow head sleeper goby get along with my fire goby?

i know that my clown would have a problem with that, being the alpha male (but most likely female), but im putting him up for adoption soon. :)
-------------------------------
and lastly, but not the least classy, i have an anenome that seems to only come out at night. It looks like aiptasia, but i've had it since i got my tank and hasn't ever multiplied since then. He's transparent. I'd take a picture, but the quality of my phone camera is horrible and would only make the anenome look invisible. could it be something else? during the day he stays closed up.

The clicking could be a pistol,but could just as easly be a mantis.So,just keep watching and try to see which one it is.

The firefish should be fine.

the last one,its gonna be hard to say without a pic.

just a quick fact i just read...made me think

wikipedia saidd.... "Although it happens rarely, some larger species of mantis shrimp are capable of breaking through aquarium glass with a single strike from this weapon"

hmm.. think its true?

i know a guy has kept a peacock mantis shrimp for a year, now. He's still good.
Here's why i think a mantis wouldnt crack a glass:

Mantis shrimp strike only go kill prey and for protection. They have no idea what glass is so they would have no use for striking it.

they would have to actually be aiming for the glass for a nice clean hit.

They would have to strike the same area multiple times before the glass will start breaking.

so i would just not hang any posters of crabs on the glass. lol

Most other people are more worried about them killing other fishes and inverts than them cracking glass.

I could be wrong though.

Back