clown fish not eating

I have 2 clown fish for a little over a month and they don’t seem to eat when I throw food in. I would put in flakes, pellets, thawed shrimp (stuff we eat), tried a piece of lettuce and nothing. Food would pass by them and they pay no mind to it. The larger more dominate one (I think is the female) use to come to the top and/or grab food then stopped. The odd thing is that I see them poo a lot so I’m wondering what the heck are they eating. Their body size looks decent, no change from when I got them, no fin rot, or ich. All they do is keep wiggling at the bottom of the tank. I will get some pictures up…having weird issues with photobucket.

For what it’s worth - I had blue damsels in the tank with them for a short period of time and ended up giving them up to a friend but they ate like crazy.

Any suggestions or tricks to get them to eat?

Thanks.

Your clowns are most likely eating pods and other little critters that grow in the tank (free fish food). Do you feed them any frozen food like Marine Cuisine, Carnivore Cuisine, Mysis or even Brine Shrimp. You could also try soaking their food in garlic extract to entice them to eat.

Clowns are pigs. Stop feeding flakes, table shrimp, and don't put lettuce in your tank.
Try buying some frozen mysis shrimp and emerald entree. Mine scarf this like crazy and it is high in nutritional value.

I will give that shot...going to the LFS tonight anyway. They have a small naso tang that im interested in might pick it up as well. Thx.

A Naso Tang will get way too large for a 65g. I have a 180g and they will get too large for my tank or I would get one myself.

Yup. No tang. If you MUST get a tang check out the Kole tang. Tangs need 6 feet of swimming space. The Kole and I believe there is another bristle tooth tang are the only ones that will be happy AT ALL in a 4 foot long tank.

This is why we all make do with wrasses, clowns, cardinals, dwarf angels, etc. We all love the tangs but know that they won't be happy, survive, or thrive in 99% of our tanks due to size.

Have you ever tried or been successful making your own fish etc as suppose to putting algae sheets all the time? I already have pounds of spirulina that I eat daily or would it be best to switch up etc.?

Hmmm, I don't know, I remember reading about someone making their own frozen food. Greens are hard since a lot of times they have pesticides on them.

I have made my own.

Raw unseasoned table shrimp, clove of garlic, algae sheets from the LFS, and a filter feeder food. Put in blender when the Mrs isn't home and you have tons of food that will last a long time.

You can get fancy and get scallops and other raw unseasoned sea foods from your grocery store to add in also.

Back