confused clown

michelle

Reefing newb
I have a pair of false perc clowns. I have had them about 2 months now and they are doing great.
About a week ago I bought a carpet anemone for them to (hopefully) host to, realizing it may take a while because of the fact they were tank raised.
Yesterday, one of the clowns started hosting! yay! ...problem being it is hosting to my really small frogspawn coral:S
I am wondering if it will damage the coral as it rubs it against its skeleton. Also, do you think the second clown will go to the coral as well? Is it normal for a "pair" to sleep in seperate parts of the tank?
Thanks guys! Appreciate the advice as always:)

The carpet anemone is one of the favs for clowns...so im sure they will host. I would remove the clowns for a whole day or two and then put them back in the tank. BTW, which carpet did you get? I have been really wanting to get one.

Last edited:
Their called clowns for a reason.You never know what their gonna host.
I used to have a seba that loved xenia.
It'd be a good idea to keep an eye on the carpet anemone to.They've been know to use the hosting clowns as a snack.

The carpet anemone is one of the favs for clowns...so im sure they will host. I would remove the clowns for a whole day or two and then put them back in the tank. BTW, which carpet did you get? I have been really wanting to get one.

Actually I have the Haddoni Carpet. It is probably the least favorite of the 3 for false percs from what I have read, but an aquaintance was getting rid of his tank and needed a home for it. Who am I to say no to a free carpet? (especially since he was going to "FLUSH IT"!!!)
Here are a couple pictures of him/her/it:
100_4155.jpg

100_4148.jpg

Good luck,you're braver than I am.

Frogspawns are pretty tough corals,generally they can handle a clown hosting them.The clowns are a ''pair'' but are they ''paired up'' or a ''mated pair''.It's never a guarantee that buying two clowns will ever become a ''mated pair''.,..only time will tell.

Nice looking anemone. No guarantee that the clown will ever host it. One of my clowns will host whatever kind of coral I put near her territory. The other hosts one of my koralias. I introduced the two of them separately (about 3 years apart from each other), and they have never paired up. There is no guarantee that your clowns will ever take to any sort of anemone. Like others have said, watch that carpet. They are probably the worst anemone when it comes to eating fish. I saw one in the LFS eat its own clown once!! At first I was sad, but then I laughed. Stupid anemone.

The anemone certainly has quite the appetite. I have been feeding an invert. filter feeder formula nightly for my corals AND he eats a full piece of shrimp each day. I knew that carpets were a dangerous one to keep, but when the guy I got it from said he would just "flush it" I couldn't help myself.
As for my clowns, they were kept as a pair at the lfs and I got them when they were less then 1/2 inch long. So, I am holding out hope for them to pair up, but I do understand they may not.
Thanks for everyones thoughts, I am actually happy that the clown is interested in my frogspawn now. Seems a safer choice then the anemone.

You know, i keep hearing about carpets being dangerous but I think the chances of a carpet eating an actual clown is a lot less than other fish. Clowns & carpets are friends remember...so if you keep the anemone well fed, i doubt it will be able to even get a grip on the grown to eat it. I see clowns hosting carpets all the time so i dont know why some fear this so much...Guess i will have to experience it myself. But i doubt the carpet will be able to eat your clowns...other fish i can accept, but clowns i think will be very less likely.

Back