connected skimmer now have bubbles

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
So I have had my tank running for almost a month with no skimmed. I wanted to install it and so I did so it would get broken in and also so I could adjust the amount of water it will need added and so on.

So I turned it on and now I have tons of stuff floating around my tank including things that look like undissolved salt but what is bothering me is the micro bubbles.

The return pumps water is totally clear and the water it is returning is undisturbed as it was before. No waves or anything. The skillets return line is depositing the water before the diffuser sponge so it isn't like it can be putting bubbles.into the water.

If you were to look closely at the return pumps chamber it is clear and calm.

Only thing I can think of is that since the tubing that connects the rerun pump to the control valve is longer than it needs to be zinc I had to move the pump around for the skimmed.to fit that maybe it is drawing in air at that connection. I can't hear anything and it looks solid. I mean it is like an inch and a half of tubing over the fitting but that is the only spot I can think of.

Was thinking of pulling it all out and adjusting the tube length but man that seems crazy it could be that.

Any ideas?

Thanks

It went from a clear tank to one with micro bubbles after I connected the skimmer I can't post pix.right now.

I just recently added a skimmer to my tank as well. I don't know a lot but at first there were a lot of bubbles and overnight it started to decrease. So maybe it is just a process and they will slowly start to go away.

if the return pump is sucking air the bubbles will be never ending so pull the pump and ensure its sealed right, air in the line may take a little while to stop, this dosen't sound like a skimmer problem unless the skimmer is dumping water neat the return pump inlet?

Ok everything was tight so here is what has happened.

I moved the skimmer to be an HOB but on the sump. It fits perfect and only the inlet pump and outlet hose are in it and no more bubbles.

Here is why because I got really close to see.

The intake pump of the skimmer was in the same chamber as the return pump so I guess with the two pulling on the water so close to the sponge they were yanking airbubbles.

Now with the HOB of the sump the intake is on the other side of the 3rd chamber and has less suction power to pull the air bubbles.

I could see it happening really small.

So I also hooked up my UV Sterilizer which is the Coralife HOB Twist type. At first the fitting leaked but I slapped on some teflon tape and no leak. I have the return hose dangling for now but the whole time it kept spitting out bubbles like here and there.

As soon as I moved the skimmed out of the 3rd chamber both the bubbles in the tank and coming out of the return from the UV Sterilizer stopped and now there are no bubbles.

Seriously I can say it was just trial and error and getting down close to the pumps and thinking ok this stopped it some and going on.

I do know I have low water in my sump right now but when I slap in 120 pounds of rock and 80 of sand it will be enough + some.

I am about to order an extra heater a small pump and most likely an RO/DI system.

Anyone have one that is decent. I don't want to spend $350 but I don't want a clunker. I have an 80 Gal so at most I would think 40GPD would be as much as I would need so 100GPD should take me to a bigger 150GT one day.

Back