converting from 40g to 20g need help

hazelsdad

Reefing newb
I have to free up space in the room my 40 gallon cube tank is. I am gonna convert it to a rectangle 20gallon. I am concerned though about my inhabitants.
I am gonna start it as a new tank and was going to slowly introduce my current inhabitants to it. I have 2 false percula clowns that have hosted my two long tentacle anemones, a royal gramma, and snails and crabs. I also have a bunch of mushrooms as well as a galaxia.
Will the anemones be transferrable to a newer tank?
will the clowns freak if i transfer them and not the anemones. (they are very protective of there homes)
Should i try to get store credit for the two anemones and the two clowns from my local lfs to keep em together if a new tank wont support the anemones?
Thx in advance. i have to do something soon.

The hard part is keeping the new water stable enough for anemonies. They do require very stable, clean water. I would also be concerned about territories in a smaller tank because all of your fish are semi-aggressive.

The size should be better since its longer..more room to swim apposed to up and down. Fish are good together and havent had any issues. Just dont think anemones will live. That is my major concern.

Survivability shouldnt be that bad because your stocking list isnt overwhelming even for a 20. The only thing i'd be concerned with is the sheer size those LTA's can get. You may need to get rid of one and only put a single anemone in the tank. Are you just using the same filtration, lights ect?

i was debating it..wasnt sure if i would be able to just transfer them or not...once the rock and sand are in and settled can i just move everything over? or should i get the tank fully established with lights and skimmer?

I'd use new live sand, but same rock and water. Your tank should be ready to go as soon as you put the water in. Lighting could be an issue, you can spot feed the anemone to keep lit alive but with low light its going to move around and try to find a spot it likes. This could cause problems with powerheads and any corals you could be housing.

would it be feasible to do half new water and half old water....sorta like a large water change? lights should be good i just replaced all the bulbs last month. I just hope it fits. And will the skimmer i have which is rated for 75 gallon tank be to much for a 20 gallon?

Back