Copperband Butterfly

good to hear about your butterfly doc..and the picture is very nice..here in tehe carribean..butterfly in aquariums dont do well..people complains are that they dont eat..so is great news that yours is doing ok..good luck

1 day and counting! I thought I'd accept the CBB challenge and get one. He's the biggest fish in the tank, and what's weird is that the yellow tang and koran angel both rub their hind fins up against him all the time. No biting or nipping, just rubbing. Anyone seen this behavior before? So far it only seems to like mysis, hasn't touched my aiptasias yet. We'll see how it goes I guess...

1 day and counting! I thought I'd accept the CBB challenge and get one. He's the biggest fish in the tank, and what's weird is that the yellow tang and koran angel both rub their hind fins up against him all the time. No biting or nipping, just rubbing. Anyone seen this behavior before? So far it only seems to like mysis, hasn't touched my aiptasias yet. We'll see how it goes I guess...

that is territorial posturing behavior. Tangs attack that way, by slapping at opposing fish with their scalpel extended. I have seen angels do it as well. It is not playing around. Cross your fingers that it stops soon.

I would love to see a pic of your Koran. Redline and I both have them

-Doc

Good luck with your CBB Doc. I too am getting one from my LFS. I am getting one from australia for I have heard that they have better chance in our home tanks than the one's from hawaii/Philippines and also for those that are planning to get one, not only get the one from aussie but get a mid or larger for they also have better survival rate.

how long have you had the peppermints doc? mine stayed hid out for the first month or two. hell, I forgot they were even in there. but once they started coming out the aiptasia dis-appeared.

Doc is right, this is how tangs attack and harm other fish. Not a good thing.

My peppermint shrimp have been with me for about 2 months. They show zero interest in coming out of their homes. They just sit. Lazy pieces of crap. I just hope they pull it together soon.

I seem to have had close to the same experience as fishbait. I had at least 50 and up to 100 aptasia in my tank. added 5 peppermints and they didn't do anything for a month or so, then in no time at all the aptasia all disappeared! I have had success in 3 different tanks with peppermints.

H eis covered with ich. I have had mine for about 6 months. This is my third and if this one doesn't last my wife will kill me. Mine also got ick when I first got it but the next day it was gone. Mine also eats like a pig. He has eaten all my aptesia and feather dusters. I am planning on getting small rocks with aptesia from other members of my local club. I will let you know when mine dies.

hahahaha. I wish that wasn't so ironic, the whole "I'll let you know when mine dies" comment. It is tough to keep these suckers. I have past my own personal record and I am closing in on two months. He had a mild case of Ich on his fins the first month but it has all but disappeared. It is a lazy sucker and won't touch aptasia at all. It is starting to piss me off. I went with the natural way to get rid of it and I get no love in return.

-Doc

JAG, that is a pretty bad case of ich there. Quarantining a sensitive fish like that probably wouldn't help him much, so I'd suggest soaking his food in garlic and Selcon in the meantime, and hope that he pulls through.

Thanks for the tip, Biff. Can I use regular cooking garlic extract or does it need to be a special kind from the LFS?

Any type of garlic extract will do. Kent Marine and Seachem makes some that I've used, but other people either crush the garlic themselves or use the juice from the jars of minced garlic.

Looks like the ich is going away, it's hardly visible at all now. whew! He's also been picking at the rocks and moving around more freely now that the tang is leaving him alone, however he hasn't touched a single aiptasia yet. bummer... maybe he'll take a liking to them later on

Back