Coralife Salt mixes cloudy

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
I've gone through over half of the 150 gallon bucket and every single time I mix it up the water turns cloudy and stays that way. I've tried just leaving an airstone instead of a pump in the mix overnight and this white, powdery crud settles to the bottom. After using the cloudly water the tank clears after several hours. Anybody else seen this with Coralife? I've tried Oceanic and it was decent but seemed low on alk.

Have you tryed SeaChem Reef?
I can give you the numbers I came up with on a fresh mix when I get home from work.
I also had really good results by mixing SeaChem and Oceanic 50/50.

i used coralife a longtime ago and it was never like that. do you add the salt first then the water. that could be a problem it will cause it to precipate and that could be the crud on the bottom

i used coralife a longtime ago and it was never like that. do you add the salt first then the water. that could be a problem it will cause it to precipate and that could be the crud on the bottom

I always add the water first. I've saw Oceanic do this once when I was mixing the last cup or two in a 50g jug but like I said this batch of Coralife does it every time.

I've gone through over half of the 150 gallon bucket and every single time I mix it up the water turns cloudy and stays that way. I've tried just leaving an airstone instead of a pump in the mix overnight and this white, powdery crud settles to the bottom. After using the cloudly water the tank clears after several hours. Anybody else seen this with Coralife? I've tried Oceanic and it was decent but seemed low on alk.

sen - I had this happen with both Instant Ocean reef mix and Coralife (a free box of the coralife came with my setup).

I changed out the pump I used for overnight mixing in a 5 gallon to a pond pump from Home Depot that causes massive churn and stirring in the 5g bucket and it no longer does that with the Instant Ocean - especially if I use room temperature RO water.

Back