Corals that like a ton of light?

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
I have 6 HO T5's over my little 46g tank.
What are some good corals that will thrive in the top third of my tank?
My montipora caps were browning out and the consensus was probably too much light. They have now been moved down to the lower half.
So far my digitas seem to be doing ok in the top half,

You can put some corals toward that top that don't necessarily need intense light if you acclimate them slowly. I have a candy cane that is thriving near the top of the tank but I started it about a third up in a 46 gal bow front. My duncans started at the bottom and they are now about half way up.

How much total wattage you got? Are you talking 39w lights? 6 HO T5's over a 46g tank is not what I'd consider "a ton of light" Thats DECENT light for zoas, polyps, softies and LPS. Thats like 234w (5w per gallon).

If you want to grow SPS under T5 lighting in a 46g tank--you better double your bulb count my friend.

Hell, I got 6 HO T5 on my little 30g tank and thats NUTHIN' I have 144w total light. A WHOPPING (not) 4.8w per gallon. Whoooppeee :grumble: I won't even attempt SPS in my tank. Would be an expensive and slow way to kill nice SPS frags.

Rc,you cant really go by the watts per gallon rule with T-5s,especially with IRs.T-5s are actually supposed to double the light output per watt.

How much total wattage you got? Are you talking 39w lights? 6 HO T5's over a 46g tank is not what I'd consider "a ton of light" Thats DECENT light for zoas, polyps, softies and LPS. Thats like 234w (5w per gallon).

If you want to grow SPS under T5 lighting in a 46g tank--you better double your bulb count my friend.

Hell, I got 6 HO T5 on my little 30g tank and thats NUTHIN' I have 144w total light. A WHOPPING (not) 4.8w per gallon. Whoooppeee :grumble: I won't even attempt SPS in my tank. Would be an expensive and slow way to kill nice SPS frags.

So far my sps frags are growing really well and my shrooms at the bottom don't want to fully expand and a couple have shriveled. My zoas are at the very bottom (on the sand or just 1 inch up) at one end of the tank, some are in partial shade and are doing great.

you may have to much light for your shrooms Dennis. in my old tank i could not keep them alive they just melted away from all the light.

Rc,you cant really go by the watts per gallon rule with T-5s,especially with IRs.T-5s are actually supposed to double the light output per watt.

I realize that. But he's got 5.0w per gallon and I've got 4.8w per gallon. Both of us using T5 lights. I wouldn't even DREAM of SPS in my tank. It's just not enough light.

I was just making the point that he really doesn't have a "ton of light" At best, he's got a good tank for LPS, mushrooms, zoas and polyps. IMO, you don't have a TON of light until you slap about 400w of MH on a 46g tank. Or in the case of my little 30g tank, a ton of light would mean all the light I got AND slap a 75w MH clamp-on on the tank rim.

Really, 234w of T5 on a 46g tank isn't a ton of light. It's just not.

Last edited:
They tend to do better in the shade anyways. It forces them to expand more to try and absorb more light, so they look bigger and prettier. Try that and let us know how it goes!

Back