cramped for space

meatwad0601

a.k.a. Don Jeremeat
ive got a 150gal tank and the only space i have to put my sump is a closet next to the tank. anyone has an idea on how to make a sump that is tall and skinny. ive got a couple of 10gal tanks for refuges and an old 46gal bow front im planing to make square again. and all has to fit in a 35" x 26.5" closet. the skimmer is a stand alone unit and might make a cabinet for it on the other side of tank.

Last edited:
Try going to Home Depot or Lowe's and looking at their heavy duty plastic totes and trash cans. Whatever you buy, make sure it's all plastic. I use a rubbermade tub as my sump.

i just bought a couple of totes to kind of see what would fit and i might try to stack them or should i say on shelves, one above the other, with the water running from one to the next then back to the tank

i would just have to make a pvc overflow sticking up through each one so they all dont try to drain to the bottom one completely. might be a pain in the but to get adjusted

Don't go through the bottom, plumb through the side of the tubs. That way it won't drain the tub completely if something goes wrong, it will only drain to the water level that the drain is on the side. Going through the side will take more PVC, but it's safer.

Here's a picture of my setup. My refugium is gravity fed, like what you are wanting to do. The refugium (round tub) is slightly elevated, higher than the sump (square tub). A little pump moves water from the sump to the refugium, and it drains back through the side (2" white PVC).

IMG_2718.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

Yep. That's all. I have 2 lbs of live rock per gallon in my display. Since those pics were taken, I also have cleaned up that mess of electrical wires. So please ignore that horrible example I'm setting right there :D.

cool no prob about the mess its to get it to work first then look better later. i thought of making a moving bed filter too. how much would you think i would benefit from that?

Back