cvcdrk's 29g Mini Reef

Ok so it's been an interesting couple of days.

Unfortunately, the clownfish went carpet surfing last night. To be honest, it wasn't much of a surprise. He was always a little odd and liked to be half out of the water. I fed him at 7pm, then I did a little cleaning up around the tank and saw him doing fine in his corner.....about 11:30 after the girlfriend and I had been watching Olympics all night I looked over and he wasn't around. I looked around the tank and then had a hunch and looked underneath. Sure enough...there he was.

Very sad.

So for now I'm not going to replace him or get another fish. He was an interesting character, but I don't feel as though the tank is safe to keep a free-swimming fish without a lid. So now I have to figure out some sort of screen that will allow the light to get through uninhibited.

In lighter news, I had off today and decided to try my hand at a little DIY.
My marineland RC LED never sat right on my tank and I've wanted to hang it somehow for awhile. So today I ran to home depot and bought some stuff and managed to hang it. I made a couple of mistakes, though and I will be re-wiring it tonight so no pics until then. Right now it's a little further away than I want it. Because it isn't very strong I don't want it to be that far off the water so that's why I'm re-wiring it. It's about six inches off the water right now and the light at the bottom of the tank is visibly not ideal.

In other news, I got a new coral today. A red florida ricordea. Petco sucks, by the way. Their frag tank was full of little frags today...and they got their shipment this morning. Now they have like six mandarins. I looked at them with longing and asked the girl if they're eating frozen. She said no they eat copepods and then told me that if I bought some they will breed in my corals. I just smiled and walked away. I feel bad for those fish...but nothing I can do.

They also had two seahorses in the frag tank. Good luck there to whomever decides it's a good idea to buy them. :-(

So here's a couple of pics and when I finish re-wiring the hanging lights I'll post pics of that (although it's not very good so don't get excited haha).

ricordea1.jpg

duncan7.jpg

The duncan now has two smaller heads that are definitely getting larger. They're growing out of the back of it in this picture and there is no way for me to get a pic of them but if I look just right through the side when it closes up to eat I can see them coming out. I'm impressed at how fast it has taken to the tank.

Ricordea was supposedly attached to the rock that they sold it to me on. Its very small so I got a little discount...only $12 for it....but when I got it home it wasn't attached to the rock and just floating around. It was actually attached to a piece of gravel which I superglued onto the rock it came with and placed it in the tank.
This is the first time I haven't drip-acclimated a coral. I read around and learned it wasn't that necessary so I didn't do it this time...just temp adjusted, glued and put it in.

Last edited:
Ok I changed out the wires and made them a bit longer. Still not sure if I need to go even longer. Luckily, I have plenty of wire left if I want to do that.

I just got L brackets and secured them to the wall about 24" across. Then I got a couple of eye hole screws with bolts that I figured I could use to level it and to raise/lower the light if I need to.

I hung each side from a piece of 15" picture wire.

Pics:

overview.jpg

bracket2.jpg

bracket1.jpg

level.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good!

and many soft corals, like the ric, will detach and float away. just put them in a plastic cup with some rubble in the bottom and it will attach to one of them.

Looks great! That's a very good idea with the light, I like it. Also your Duncan looks good, they do grow very quickly. Have you tried to feed it yet? They loove being fed meaty things. Kinda cool to watch also and will make them grow even faster. Sorry to hear about the clown fish. I had a fish carpet surf also, it was upsetting.

Yeah I've fed the duncan a few times. I like it. I actually give it a squirt everytime I feed now. Just a few little pieces of mysis when I'm feeding the scooter and the CBS now.
I figure, if it eats it it can take it.

I even took a pic of it taking a crap. It's in this topic somewhere haha.

Yeah, it was pretty disappointing that the clown jumped. It was weird because it wasn't even dark. The blue LEDs were still on when I found him dry. :-(

My girlfriend wants another one but I'm not so sure. Clownfish are beautiful and nice but I'm not crazy about their personality. Of course, the fish I would like to get like a 6-line wrasse or a fairy wrasse are known jumpers...so I really need to solve the lid problem before I buy any more fish. I think for the time being I'm going to let the scooter chill in the tank by himself. He seems to really dig the rock that the ricodea came on for some reason tonight.

When I figure out something for the lid I will start looking into additional fish. At this point, though, I think I'd rather spend money on more corals than fish.

I have a cart all ready to go on Saltwaterfish.com for $91 with free shipping.
This is the stuff I want to order...I'm thinking about placing the order so that it will be delivered on Wednesday the 15th.

Rainbow Ricordea 1 Polyp Frag
Candy Cane Frag
Ricordea Orange 1 Polyp Frag
Star Polyp Pink - Frag

I agree. That's a lot for a small amout of corals. I'd search the web a bit more to find a better deal.

As for the lid. Bulkreefsupply.com sells some awesome clear plastic mesh that is specifically for aquarium lids! I actually got my hands on some and my hubby and I made a lid for our 93g with it. All you need is some of that metal window frame and the corners, some spline and a spline roller and voila you have a DIY light penetrable lid! You can only get that clear mesh from BRS tho but everything else should be at your local home depot or lowes.

You can find all of those frags for much cheaper, i wouldnt spend that kind of money on them

lol

where can I find them cheaper? Not around here at petco where everything is like $30+ unless they're having a sale of the stuff nobody bought last week.
I haven't found better prices online yet but I will keep looking.

That lid sounds like a good option for me. :-)

I'm looking at this:
DIY Aquarium Screen Top Netting Kits - English

How easy is it to cut the frame, though? I don't have much DIY experience and I definitely don't have any power tools. Just a tool box with the basics. I could buy a saw if that's all it would take, but I want it to look good.
The reason is that I need to cut out at least one section for my overflow into my skimmer and probably a small section on the other side for the power cord to one of my powerheads. Unfortunately, I can't just make a rectangle. :-(

Well I don't think it will look very good and while I know its recommended I feel like it will just reduce the amount of light. Far more than a thin screen will. I can't imagine cleaning the nasty algae off those things, either....since the holes are such an awkward size and so deep. The plastic mesh I can just scrub.

Im wondering how you get algae on it lol. Its not the prettiest thing, but i like my fishies lol. You can paint it black but that GREATLY reduces the light. The one i left white doesnt impede as much light as i thought.

I just liked it bc i could cut it with scissors.

You can just use one of the hack saw things. That's what my hubby used. That was the hardest part only bc you have to put some muscle in it.

haha

I can probably buy a hack saw for it.

This DIY stuff is the worst part of the hobby to me, unfortunately. I actually enjoy the DIY topics and watching people build custom things. It's very interesting. I'm just no good at it. :-(

I got my first and only C back in high school in Shop class (required class). I built a table that turned out great but looked nothing like my plans I drew up beginning of the semester. lol

It doesn't look like much and certainly isn't....but I was pretty proud of hanging the light. I may try to practice a little bit ahead of getting a larger tank ina few years because I've seen so many custom ideas that I would like to try. I doubt I will have the tools necessary, though.

I'm not much of a DIY person either but it was either that or worry about the fish jumping out while I'm at work haha

Yeah I agree!

I will be looking into this soon. The sooner the better so I can add a new fish (hoping 6-line wrasse really).

There are a few places I think you can get a better deal, one of them is colormorphic (?) something like that. Biffy know the actual name, i cant remember it right now or find the link.

Back