cvcdrk's 29g Mini Reef

Superb. I have 7 corals selected for $82. I may throw in some snails and chaeto just to bump it over $100 to get another $10 for free.

Which would end up being a hell of a deal. I need to place a large coral order soon. Yellow Polyps look great. It's so hard to find bright yellows....almost as hard as blue.

How do these look as a starter pack?

corals.jpg

I'll probably be ordering that or something along those lines in the next couple of weeks.

Also, I noticed this today. At first I thought it might just be a feather duster starting to grow or something like that but I'm worried it might be aiptasia. Anyone have any idea?

hitchiker.jpg

It's some hitch hiker that came with the Duncan I guess. It's growing out of the base. The duncan has two new heads forming on the opposite side which get bigger and bigger everyday but are still too hidden and small to photograph. I don't want this to be a problem and I don't want to make any attempts to kill/remove it until I have a better idea of what it is.

Does indeed look like an Aiptasia, which has a simple fix; Aiptasia X, great and easy to use for killing Aip.

Really?
I always read about injecting it in the stem with stuff....there's just a chemical I can add and it ill get rid of it? Any side effects?

No chemical. People do inject them with lemon juice. But there is such a high chance of it releasing spores and spreading. Whereas Aiptasia X kills it for good.

Still haven't taken care of the Aiptasia yet. I will as soon as I have the money to place a large online order for some stuff.
The tank isn't looking that great today, so no FTS. I'm still battling algae and considering getting another small emerald crab. I'll be getting a bunch more snails no matter what which should also help.

In the meantime, I got a new phone, which has an awesome 12mp camera on it....so here are some pics:

Duncan:
duncan1.jpg

These two pics are after the duncan ate today. I have been documenting the two additional heads growing on the back. I can't wait until they're big and I have a Duncan Colony. :-)
sprouting2.jpg

sprouting1.jpg

Zoas:
zoas.jpg

Ric:
ric2.jpg

ric1.jpg

Scooter:
scooter.jpg

Emerald Crab stuffing his little piggy face:
emerald-1.jpg

Thanks, little fish.

How long do new heads on things like Duncans usually take to grow? I feed the Duncan almost every day now. I figure....he's open and looks hungry and he eats it for like ten mins after feeding so it can't hurt. The other heads are definitely getting bigger but its hard for me to tell how much.

Well, mine had started growing so fast it was putting off new heads before putting down skeleton to hold them all. So I stopped feeding mine, i dont think that type of growth is good for it. Personally, i would stop feeding it so that the rate it sprouts new heads is a bit closer to rate it puts down hard skeleton.

But my duncan is hands down the fastest growing thing in my tank, out pacing even algae!!

What is the indicator for skeleton growth? Is it just the tube thing getting wider or would it be a whole new tube thing forming somehow?

So I placed the order for some coral frags from PacificEast Aquaculture. After placing the order they called me immediately. Were very nice and we worked out the shipping details. They're going to hold them and ship them out Tuesday for Wednesday delivery for me (I have off wed...only day I could go and pick them up).

What I ended up getting (with actual pics of the ones I ended up selecting):

1. Aussie Acan Lord
Love Acan Lords.....and this one is just downright beautiful. It's coloring is what drew me towards it. Definitely going to be a centerpiece. :-)
acan.jpg

2. Christmas War Coral
This one is just stunning to me....and this is almost as large as their $40 full colonies. I chose it because it seems the most uniform and I love the orange/bright green combo.
xmas.jpg

3. Yellow Polyps
I knew I wanted something yellow. However, most yellow corals are SPS and hard to care for (or LPS and more expensive)....I found these and I liked the coloring...plus they should propagate quickly from what I've read.
yellow.jpg

4. Orange in Green Zoanthids
Zoas are going in the center of my tank with my other zoas. They are nice colors and come on that sweet coraline colored rock. :-)
orangespots.jpg

5. Burgandy and Teal Blastomussa
Hard to beat this color combination and I knew I wanted at least one blasto.
blasto.jpg

6. Seafoam Palythoas
Just for something different. The coloring on these isn't fantastic but something has to fill out the well lit areas in the back of my tank and I got one frag for free so I picked these....and they were cheap ($7)
seafoam.jpg

7. Gold Sparkler Zoanthids
Possibly the coolest ones on the list, honestly. This pic is too small to really see their incredible coloration that I saw in the zoomed-in pic...but wait for the pics. Apparently these are fairly hard to find. If they do well, I may try to frag them. They cost the most of all the zoas on that section of the site I think.
sparkles.jpg

If anyone has any special care suggestions you don't think I would have found through quick research of each one please let me know! :-)

Back