d@mn coraline!

fishbait

I found Nemo
ok, here's yet another coraline growth issue for you guys. my tank has been set up for nearly a year. I have coraline growing or covering all my rocks, powerheads, overflow, and everything in the tank. just not the glass. it will appear in a few places for a little while, then just turn white or greeen and fall off. now my sump is even becoming covered in coraline and it's just been set up for a little over a month and is lite with a 90 compact flourescent spotlight bulb. the only difference between my tank and sump is that i bought the sump new, and the d.t. was a freshwater tank first. is it possible that has something to do with it? is so what causes it?

sorry if it wasn't clear. the question is, why won't the coraline grow on my glass? it grows on everything else. including the glass in my sump. and the sumps only been up for a little over a month.

If its turning white and then flaking off,I see a different problem.Maybe its time for new bulbs?Coralline does seem to grow better on plastic then glass.

Thats why I mentioned bulbs since its growing good in the sump but not in the DT.Maybe the light spectrum has changed from what they once were accustom too.

Its getting there.When I had PC's they were shot at 8 months.
Its about time for new bulbs so it wouldn't be a waste of money to go ahead and replace two now and the other two within 2 weeks or so.Dang,I'm getting bad at not putting enough periods in.

ive made some research..and it seems that coraline in small amounts needs a pourous surface to stick on..glass is less pourous..so thats why glass is last...

another option is if your cleaning crew is disturbing the glass often enough, it may not have a chance to stick. I don't know of anything about freshwater that would keep the coralline from growing on the glass.

-Doc

I have coraline getting nicely established all over my tank, but it's dying off (actually, it's nearly all dead) on the back wall of the tank - but thriving everywhere else). I've been persistent in removing the astrea snails who seem to love to graze there - I think they have something to do with it...

About it being a freshwater first i have a friend i work with that had a fresh 40g and turned it salt and the coraline in his tank stuck well to the glass where there had been deposits from him letting the waterline drop after his fish died. I dont know if this is any help but in my tank the diatoms are also sticking to those deposits well and not really anywhere else on the glass. So i dont think freshwater before has any negative effect on coraline growth.

Back