Dane's 125 Gallon Marine Setup

Re: Dane's 100 Gallon Marine Setup

Another good Idea... I looked ta those and didnt think they would hold well enough

they hold amazing, the only way to get it to un-hook itself is to twist it, otherwise it wont budge

i had some of thoes, till i dropped em one by one and they went bouncing off and i never bothered to go looking for them, and i have a massive supply of tiny to HONK'N zipties around the house...

you want a good laugh, go to grainger and ask to see the 3 footers.. hehehehe

yea, lineman pliers, we call em klines, same thing,, but dosent every male have at least 2 sets of these? mine were issued at birth for having an "outtie"(male) and not an "innie"(female) hehehehe

I used stainless hose clamps above the water.Coming off the return,I used a 3ft zip tie and cranked it down a set of banding pliers.

Ok Ok Ok....

In researching my lights... I measured my tank dimensions. I have never done this before and the guy I bought it from told me it was a 100 gal...

When i measured today, I came up with:

72"X18"X20".... Yall correct me if I am wrong, but doesnt that come out to 125 Gallons (long)?

Thanks Biff! I just noticed you did that!

Quick Update:

All is well. My cleanup crew has kept the algae @ bay. Added some more cured live rock, and have my Fuge full of "cheeto". I FINALLY found a secret gem-of-an-LFS here in MS that I will be giving all my business to from here on out. OMG you should see this guy's set up. ALL his fish tanks are in the wall. He has CARPETED floors and 4 HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE (shallow) Coral display tanks that you cant help but want to go Scuba Diving in!

Im going to post a Water Report card in the other section and get some feedback, but my criticals are holding steady, with Nitrates just a TAD bit higher than I want (slightly over 10PPM). More on that in the other thread.

I got rid of the anemone, and thank you to everyone who suggested it. He has a new home at the LFS and is doing well.

My LPS (long tenticled plate coral) is doing INSANE! (Note, These guys WILL move around the aquarium). His plate is about 2" in diameter and this morning he was "blown up" to over 6" in diameter and his tenticles are over 6" long. He is eating 1/4 to 1/2 pieces of shrimp weekly.

I have added a couple frags of some Zoos (pics to come this next week) and some polys. They are trhiving and eating well. In fact, both are actually spawning in all directions with polyps climbing to other surface LR.

Also picked up 2 Frags of some beautiful mushrooms (Purple & Maroon/Green) that are ALSO multiplying (or growing new small ones)

I spoke at length to my New LFS guy and he has informed me that I have ample light for my LPS, however, he is working with me to upgrade to a Sweet VHO / MH setup with some kick ass ballastt for some additional "kick" and that Sweet color you guys with MH are getting.

I have decided to keep my fish stock to small reef varieties and forego the big ones. My algae is being handled by my CUC and Fox Face, so i took my Scopas back to the LFS as well.

Stock (fish) includes:

2 - False Clowns
2- Pink Skunk Clowns
6 - Chromis Damsels
1 - Fox Face Rabbit Fish
2 - Sand Sifting Stars (Taking them back to LFS Shortly)
1 - 6-Line Wrasse
1 - Flame Scallop

I couldnt be happier with things. The Sump, Fuge, Overflow, Pumps, Powerheads, etc are all top notch and appreciate all the advice.

Pics Next week. In FACT, I have been reading the manual for my Cannon Poweshot 630 and have found a manual mode where I can control ASA, ISO, White balance and Macro settings and think I one pic that I want to enter into Photo of the month... Stay Tuned.

As promised:

and I may some help identifying the actual names of these.

Mushrooms, Zooz, LPS, Duncan (Got a steal) and a Branching Hammer.

All water levels holding steady, and eveything is eating and growing like mad.

Please forgive my photos. Im not yet able to buy an SLR, so Im using my Cannon Poweshot 630 in Manual / Macro mode playing with all kinds of settings. some look decent, some look awful.

Some "not so hot" Shots of the Duncan... got a KILLER deal on this guy... 13 Heads for $30

duncan1.jpg

Duncan3SHOW.jpg

Not sure what these are called but WOW this shot turned out nice. I would like to enter it into POTM, but not sure how. I have a Full res version that is breathtaking. i *THINK* these are either "Green eyed Ladies" or "Eyelash Polys"

EyeLash1SHOW.jpg

One with Blue Background Dropped.... May be against the rules, but just wated to see what it looked like.

EyeLash1SHOWBlack.jpg

Some Beautiful Maroon Shrooms with Green Glowing highlights

GreenShrooms3.jpg

This is another that I really cant get a clear name on. I have been looking but maybe you guys can help me. Hardy as hell so far and BEAUITFUL and full of small bristle stars

Kryptonite4SHOW.jpg

And Again, here is my Insane Plate. Check out the green striping. This guy is a HOG!!!

Plate2.jpg

And finally, a small colony (mixed) of what I was told ae called "Supermans" (Red & Blue) and Cat Eyes (Violet & white eyes). Any correction on the propper name would be appreciated.

SuperManPolyps1.jpg

Attachments

• Duncan2.jpg
    Duncan2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 252
  • Duncan3SHOW.jpg
    Duncan3SHOW.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 218
  • EyeLash1SHOW.jpg
    EyeLash1SHOW.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 219
  • GreenShrooms3.jpg
    GreenShrooms3.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 258
  • Kryptonite3SHOW.jpg
    Kryptonite3SHOW.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 225
So how come I see everyone else's Duncans and the Polyps are HUUUUUUUGE?!?! Mine are the size of Quarters, max (counting the fringe around the edges)... In the pic above, they are barely the size of dimes (although not completely open). are there small and large Duncans?

Perfect Example is the photo in this months POTM thread... Those polyps are ENORMOUS

on a side note.. These things will eat chrome BUMPERS if you feed them to them! Dear GOD they love to eat!

Last edited:
They may be gettin too much light.I had to shade my Duncans before they would open up good.

Cool, thanks. Its hard to tell which "religion" to follow when it comes to Duncans and Light. Any Internet research done results in a 50/50 draw between "They need tons of light" and "They need very little Light"

I have moved them somewhat into a shadow being cast by a ledge in the rockwork. That should cut about 35-40% of the light. We shall see what that does!

Back