Dane's 125 Gallon Marine Setup

dskirtech

Reef'n The Day Away
June 9th, 2009 (6 Days Old)

Ok ladies and gents. As I was instructed to do in the Member Welcome center, I am about to start with pics of my brand new setup. I am completely new to the marine side of the house, but a seasoned pro with freshwater setups, so if I sound Marine-stupid, it is because I am!

First shots are:

Photos 1-2. 100 Gallon Bare Tank with 80 pounds of Coralite Live Sand (6 days old)

Dual Emperor 400 BioWheel Pumps
Dual Coralflow #3 Blowers / circulators
Twin Heaters (80 Degrees)

Photo 3 - 35 pounds of Premium Fiji Live Rock & 20 pounds white Base rock

Photo 4 - Fiji Rock and Base rock

Photo 5 - Close up of Fiji Rock. Does this look like Premium Fiji? Did I get ripped off? Almost ZERO hitchhikers, but the Algae color is good. Lots of red, some purple, green and gold.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,190
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 813
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 10,310
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 771
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 4,973
Re: Dane's 100 Gallon Marine Setup

Now... My Only two immediate questions are:

1. Do I have enough Sand? All total I have 120 pounds of Live Sand... 2.5 inches deep(ish)

2. Do I have enough Live Rock? I have heard 1.25 pounds per gallon, but guys, I dont think I can afford that all at once. I currently have 35-40(ish) pounds. If I do another 25-30, will that be suffice?

Looks like a very good start. I added 60 pounds of sand to my 90gal and started with 45 pounds of live rock and added when i could. I am currently at 100+ pounds of live rock and have a few other pieces in my sump. Just add when you can and remember the more rock you have the better the filtration.

looks good, but i do suggest you ditch the biowheel, itll be nothing but headaches later on down the road. also as long as you DO NOT add uncured rock to your tank after it is cycled then youll be fine with what you have for now and you can add more rock later on. also you have plenty of sand

Dustin,

Thanks for the advice. My tank is not setup for a sump, or anything else at this moment. If I ditch the Biowheels, what am I going to use for filtration?

Is this what a Skimmer is for? In fact, what the heck IS a skimmer and why do I need one?!?!

well if you ditch your biowheel then you can just use a hang on back (HOB) skimmer as your filtration. a skimmer is a filtration device that basically just removes organics from the water like uneaten food and fish pop so it doesnt make your water quality bad. also even though your tank isnt drilled you can still purcahse a HOB overflow so that you can makr your tank sump-able

Tank looks good so far. welcome to the marine world! i think the first thing to be said is that the biowheels are typically not great as dustin said. a skimmer is pretty much and essential part of saltwater tanks. In addition to that you can run a canister filter if you are not wanting to do a hob overflow and sump. they can be great as long as you clean them on a weekly basis otherwise they will become big nitrate traps. Take a few minutes and read this article about protien skimming. this should give you a basic idea of the importance of one.

https://www.livingreefs.com/protien-skimming-t469.html

Guys, Yall are awesome. This is more info and questions answered in one half a day than I have been able to get answered in a month..

So I know for sure I am going to get a Reef Octapus Protein Skimmer.

I went here: Reef Octopus Protein Skimmers

And I see so many HOB's I have no idea where to begin. somebody pick the one I need for the 100 Gal, assuming I am going to add another 50 pounds of LR.

If filtration is required / recommended, What in particular makes the Biowheel (minus the Biowheel of course) worse than a canister? Especially if kept as clean as I keep mine (Im Uber-super-anal about everything in my tank being 100% perfect and clean)

i have the 800s hob but i think it may be to small fr your tank unless you keep a small biload

before we can pick you out a skimmer, are you going to get an HOB overflow to sump your tank or do you just want an HOB skimmer

I remember when my tank looked that clean:D Then I put water in it.
JMO,But pick a skimmer thats rated at double your tank size.

rock and roll guys! So, so far I have:

1. Ditch the BioWheels
2. Add a Prtein Skimmer (read the article, fully understand their purpose)
3. Slowly add CURED live rock to the setup over the next couple months while it is being established

4. Sump... ?!?!?

I have seen these, and I generally understand their purpose. I do not have drilled tanks, so its looking like an HOB overflow is in order...

Now, I have a 20 Gallon spare tank I could easily fit under this cabnet. Is that enough? Why do I need one? What Bennefit? Do I need to do any crazy plumbing?

I DO have a pretty bad ass Canister filter on my 55 gallon... I could use this one on my Overflow / Sump / Cannister system, but i will need some SERIOUS direction as to how to set this up.

So if you guys tell me that all this is sufficient, I just need to grab a "double my size rated" skimmer and let things do their job?

(anybody got any good connections at banks for small aquarium loans?!!? I see this getting expensive as hell VERY quickly.... but alas... I will NOT skrimp!!!)

I promise to research tonight again on all this and learn as much as I can from the posts on the forum, and again....

i appreciate yalls patience with this Newbee

No crazy plumbing required for a HOB overflow and sump.
The thing about having a sump,is you get the skimmer and heater out of the tank.It gives more water volume,which helps stability with water parameters.

as far as skimmers im glad you read the article and are on board now. i know you inquired about a hob skimmer. if you go this direction I will reccomed to you the deltec mce 600 Deltec External Protein Skimmer its a little bit on the expensive side but deltec makes wonderful product. some of the best especially when you start looking at non hob skimmers they almost become the best of the best. its rated at 100 if you heavily stock and larger with light stocking so it is a perfect fit for you.

as far as sumps go this is a area that you can kindof modify to fit your own needs for what you desire to accomplish in your aquarium. a no brainer to the addition of a sump is it increases your overall volume of your system thus increasing stability within your system. the bigger the better i think a 20 gallon would work great on your setup if you have one just laying around at your disposal.

space that is partitioned off for the use of a "refugium" is a very common use. a refugium is a space in your tank that pretty much means its literal definition. "a place of shelter or protection" for cultivating different animals plants or algae. this could be bare bottom or it could have a deep sand bed (5inches or more) which can be used to reduce nitrates by a process called NNR for natural nitrate reduction. this will help with the overall stability of your system.

to quote anthony calfo and robert fenner here this is a summary of some refugium benefits:

• refugiums will passively or actively facilitate the culture of desirable organisms as stable bio-mass, free living plankton and /or shed epiphyctic matter
  • they can participate as living filters to limit the growth of undesirable organisms elsewhere in the system
~as a vegetable filter with easily harvested plants or algae for nutrient export

~as a settling chamber for the collection and handling of solid particles

~as parasite control (limited) with established communities of filter-feeding, predatory micro organisms

• refugiums can be used to contribute nutritive dissolved elements to filter feeders by shedding metabolites (priteins, vitamins, etc ) and other elements like c02 from a photosynthetic activity
  • cultured micro-orgnaisms produced in the refugium can also be recycled whole as food to higher animals in the display (like algae to herbivores or zooplankton to organismal feeders like fishes and corals)
  • the vessel at large supports r medicates the dynamics of the water quality in the system (like ph stability and from respiration/photosynthesis of organismson a reverse photoperiod from the illuminated display) ***what they are saying here is if you have a light growing algae in your refugium on the opposite cycle of your display tank you will maintain a more stable ph as it can drop and rise from lights on and lights off.***
  • biotic faculties can specifically limit or consume undesirable elements like nitrate of phosphate
  • a refugium increses the water volume and overall stability of the system
  • it provides ornamentatio, entertainment, and education... a diverse microscopic world that is itself a microcasm of the home reef microcasm
  • is an option for biotopes and specialized organisms that are not convenient or possible in the display proper (like a mangrove community, or a baby fish nursery amidst the spines of diadema urchins)
  • a handy emergency space for sequestering plants or animals for observation or recovery
  • a successful and aristic refugium illistration will make you look and feel younger. it can grow hair too (hair algae, that is)

some people choose not to do any of those things and simply keep the sump for hiding things that look unnatrural like skimmers and heaters and thermometers. and for the overall water stability and oxygenation of the water as there will be additional agitation to the water.

The choice is yours. At this point the only tanks i wouldnt set up without a sump would be anything 10g or smaller and maybe a nano cube. but like i said if you choose not to go with a sump i reccomend that deltec. and if you do go with a sump the options open up very large for you as far as skimmers that work well and that you can run on your setup.

hopefully this answered some further questions. It is nice to see someone seeking information so actively and not just impulsively jumping to major purchases without understanding the fundamentals of the new system. especially based on your background of freshwater which at this point im guessing your starting to see that there is a HUGE difference in the way these tnaks work.

To save money, just buy dry base rock from now on. You already have enough live rock to seed it with, and dry rock is a fraction of the price.

.....hopefully this answered some further questions. It is nice to see someone seeking information so actively and not just impulsively jumping to major purchases without understanding the fundamentals of the new system. especially based on your background of freshwater which at this point im guessing your starting to see that there is a HUGE difference in the way these tnaks work.....

Holy CRAP you guys are totally kick ass with all the info you have shared. I spent the better part of last night researching Sumps and refgiums both here, and everywhere else on the "Intarweb". Several GREAT D.I.Y. vids on building them.

The 20 Gallon tank will be turned into a 3-section Sump this weekend (section 1 - Live rock & water inlet / section 2 - In-Sump Reef Octopus skimmer / section 3 (after the bubble trap) - return pump. This is my weekend project. I am fairly certain i have enough spare plumbing from my other 55 Show tank (currently not in action) and I DO have a spare 10 & 20 gallon in which I will turn the 20 into my sump.

I think I am going to forego the Refugium for now, but definitely plan on learning more about it as i progress this system and knowing me, will probably HAVE to have one before its all over.

One final question on the sump (And I swear guys, i have been using the search tool on this site, I just dont know enough about it to get the results I need. It drives me crazy when people start asking questions on my other forum without at least trying to find the threads on it first using the search), while I understand how it works now and what its purpose is... I can find barely anything on plumbing the sump from the tank to the Intake of the sump and from the Pump in the sump back ot the tank...

Surely there has to be some check valves and flow controllers inline to keep from flooding the sump, OR to keep from pumping it dry and overflowing the main tank.

any links on this would be very helpful!

and guys, seriously, Thanks again! Ill post up my hand drawn Sump plan as soon as I can get it scanned in!

A sump was the best thing i ever did for my tank. If you set up a sump, the choices of skimmers increases by ten fold. If you decide to stay with the HOB skimmer, Octopus makes a really good one that is pretty resonable. Tanks looks great BTW. Its nice to meet a newbie who is listening.

Back