Darko's Upgrade 46g Bow Front

So I hook my lights all up...And the actinic don't work! So I am like hummmm WTF, I am not all that worried but a little I had not checked them when I bought the tank but I am not freaking out. The lady I bought it from is rad and I know would be honest I was not worried about that at all. Plus I have had a lot of good deals / luck so I knew I could make something work and plus I know the MH works so it could be a stupid thing. The adapters I found were pretty cheep looking so I am really thinking it could that. So I took them apart and looked around and see if I can see anything. I am a little worried because now the moonlights don't come on either. Did I mention I didn't figure this out until I had the hood all the way on the tank:frustrat: all the wires nicely put away :frustrat: everything cleaned up :frustrat: OK so here is the next one the moonlights don't come on either. So now I am really mad! I play with it for 40mins or so and I am like I could acuity know what is going if get off my butt and finish moving!

{Side Note: I have been occupying 2 residence/storage units for 1.5years, my lil sister moved in to my old town house when I moved in with Heather, since its really a pain to move tools so I could see if there was at least power coming out??? and stuff and we really don't have room for it all here and she does (plus had no choice) its still 30mins away and its midnight....}

So now I am going to try and meet my dad at his work and see if one of the electricians can tell me what’s wrong. My family friend is an electrician (who I know and trust to play with something that could potentially make a lot of people homeless!) and I have thrown a lot of work his way so I know he is not going to rip me off. I will have him fix it so I still can't be that mad I got a great deal on the whole thing so at least if it going to be the fixture well at least its not the MH right?

The rest is a tangent off topic it's there if you want to read if not back to business in the next post.

This is about my family friend. As some of you know I use to racecar's well I got into because of my cousin well growing up I use to watch this electrician race like I was 7 or 8. This guy was actually like my hero I always cheered for him instead of my cousin (SHHH) Well this guy had a girl who was a year younger then me so ya know I had actually met her a few time. The when we were me 11 her 10 we started racing go-karts (REAL ONES NOT THE ONES THEY SELL AT PEP BOY'S) well we quickly became track buddies eventually even hangout away from the races when I got a job at local in door go-kart track she was kind of dating one of the boys that work there so we were pretty good friends. Well when I looked up the guys information I started thinking about all of this. Well her senior year in high school she got a ride (she would drive for someone not like a pay the bills get famous deal but a pretty sweet deal that doesn't come along often.) Before her first race her parents thought it would be good for her to get some seat time in a full sized car. She was going to a local "Stock Car Driving School" I have had many friends before do this same school. Well I was on my way to work one day my mom called me and told me that my friend had been in an accident and her mom and brother were on there way over the pass (dad the electrician was with her) but made it sound like it shouldn't be that big of a deal it happened during warm up lap we had been told...

I remember it so clear... I had gotten paid and was on my way out to the bank on my lunch break. As I was walking to the car I saw my moms car pull up. I knew the moment my mom got out of the car it was like I got hit by a TON of bricks my mom had been crying the whole way there. She told me how my friend somehow spun out and some how when she put the car in the wall on the driver’s side her head came out (in a brand new $600ish helmet) and hit the wall. She was brain dead instantly. 2 days later I was sitting in a racecar, worst day of my life.

Months/year later it came out that the reason why she came out and actually hit the wall because you should not be able to move hardly at all when you are belted in right. The people running the school (who had a good reputation in the area) had only spot-welded the seat brackets in place (pretty much holding in place no support). They also did not properly install the window net that should have also kept her in the car. They are now out of business....

Sorry that got long fast!

Wow

1 Sorry the lights arent working out right your get the kinks worked out
2 Thats a hell of a story about your freind, what a way to go.

MANIC MUCH?...lol

1.5months after getting it up! yesterday was the coral swap, I GOT SO MUCH STUFF!!! I know I should read up on stuff b/4 i buy but I didn't buy so I have been reading all day but if you guys have any words to help with some of the new corals it would be much appreciated :) so this is my tank now. All the corals I got from the swat but the 4 that were in there...
O ya so how do you get around that annoying shadow from the tank brace?? you don't? how come I have not noticed on other tanks so much?? whats the catch?

DSC_0501.jpg

DSC_0473.jpg

DSC_0497.jpg

DSC_0498.jpg

http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r102/donnadarko_photos/?action=view&current=DSC_0502.jpg
http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r102/donnadarko_photos/?action=view&current=DSC_0502.jpg
DSC_0517.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking additions.
The way around that shadow (and I wish I had do this)is to ue 2 lights,one on each side of the brace,positioned so the light meets at the top of the rock.

Its been a while so there are few things, I upgraded skimmers well almost the pump is in the mail, but I got an Octopus in a trade that had a dead pump when it gets here I am mesh modding it. I have been doing a lot of flash light hunting and I think my tank is infested with pods now!!! I was looking around and found TONS its funny I had been looking for a while and was even trying to figure out how to get a direct line to get more in the display, I knew they were in the fuge but I literally had not seen ONE in the tank... I think I have a pest? pics below.

The coraline seems to start coming in too. AND GROWTH!!! The things that are growing anyways. Every time I look at the tank I see somehting new, my acon has trippled from the time I got it. Frogspan has doubled and my mushrooms that was one of the frist things in my 35g have taken OFF there is like 4 new ones in the past week in a hlaf. My chemestry seems to be doing good. Some of the SPS seem to be doing OK... but some not so much I think I am going to stay away from those for a while.

OK so my scarlet hermit seems to be hosting in my leather? That is were he is every day even if he is gone for a while he will show back up in a little while. Normal? I wasn't really planning of keeping the leather (got it in trade) but now if I take it out I am afraid I am going to piss him off. One of my snails has a star fish on it? not a white little one, its hard to see in the pic because it was flash light hunting...

DSC_0270-1.jpg

DSC_0272-1.jpg

is this a pest?
DSC_0281.jpg

or this its a slug? never seen it out druing the day, its about 1/4 an in?
DSC_0309.jpg

DSC_0355-1.jpg

DSC_0354.jpg

DSC_0352-1.jpg

star fish?
DSC_0307.jpg

Well its been a while, the new skimmer pump died gurrrr, so until Monday I am running without a skimmer I think it should be ok. I also just ordered a new bulb 150w/14000k I think mine (what came with it) is 10000k or even lower from what people have said that have seen my tank in person or in pics? Should that help give some color to my corals? I feel like corals will grow well in my tank but they loose color?

I also move the MH light over to one side so its not right over the strap on the tank. I am looking at getting a small 12in something PC or T5 to mount on the other side of the tank to even it out a little bit. Since I have moved the light I have actually seen some growth on some of the SPS :)

I have the GFO/Carbon reactor from BRS but I have not plumed it in yet...maybe this weekend since I have to take apart everything to replace the skimmer pump. But I still am not entirely sure its going to fit under the tank, it may wind up being mounted in the closet behind my tank.

My LFS had a sale a few weeks ago, I got a 2 ricordea's and some inverts that are back ordered but should be here soon. It had been a long time since I have added anything, yesterday I found a sun coral I couldn't pass up.

I am also getting ready to start a new tank! lol it will be pretty simple, I want to take out all of the leathers, and I want to do a some gregorians, I want to do something like this. Reef Frontiers but 20ish gallons.

This is in the other guys tank before he bagged it up.
clip_image002.jpg

IMG_9989.jpg

9921_155884366341_577266341_2797036.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_9989.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

I want to take out all of the leathers, and I want to do a some gregorians,

Hehe I assume you mean gorgonians? I had the image of you going monk shopping in my head!!

Your tank is looking good. And I know what you're saying about the leathers... Are you just kinda bored with them?

Hehe I assume you mean gorgonians? I had the image of you going monk shopping in my head!!

Your tank is looking good. And I know what you're saying about the leathers... Are you just kinda bored with them?

yeah, I something like that... Some days I don't spell my name right :)

Ok its been a little while, I have switched to BRS 2pt w/ mag dosing Today :) I am hoping that it will not affect anything I wasn't having problems keeping good levels but I was going broke buying bottles of crap that don't last very long... so we will see how that goes. I think I finally got my skimmer dialed in, the last few times I have cleaned it its been pretty gross! I have added about 30 more lbs of LR so I have to be close to 115lbs. I am still dealing with aiptasia we have a nightly date with Aiptasia X and its confinded to about 1-2 rocks. I also have been trying different foods, I am using this gel food mixed with my normal stuff, my LPS corals LOVE IT
IMG_0561.jpg

I have also used Aquarium Chemical Filtration Media: Chemi-Pure Chemical Filter MediaI have been happy so far. I think that is it for big things, I am getitng some goodies for x-mas. I also know I am getting the ReefKeeper Light for my B-Day :) I just have to wait 2 month...

Sad thing is my fire fish died... he just went missing one day :( cuc must have got him
RIP
IMG_0575.jpg

DSC_0193.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg

Back