Darn it don't tell me....

The one I have the nano 425, but I am thinking I need to get another one.

IMO you should be ok, I'm only running one return pump and a 240gph PH in my tank and it's enough. I don't think flow is your problem, I think it's just your tank going through a normal cycle.

That is what I am hoping BL, but I did move that rock to a higher flow area and I'll cut the lights back to just the moons until the cycle is complete...why borrow issues if you don't have to.

I still think it's diatoms and possibly the beginning of hair algae. I don't think it's cyan or dinos.

Isn't hair algae normally green? This is a brownish rust. I do think there are some diatoms in there, that I figure is normal. I'm thinking the fuzzy stuff is probably normal too.

When I got my new lights I had a bit of diatoms start up, and it looked dusty, then it started looking furry to me. That's when I took a closer look and mine was just the hair algae starting grow, it was real short and not too thick and didn't have much color except for the diatoms on it making it look the rusty color. I've built my algae scrubber now and increased the flow in my tank and I've noticed it going away. I hope your passes quickly!

Well I'm still cycling. Today was the first day since the cycle started that I've gotten a 0 on the ammonia. Nitrites and nitrates are still up there.

This looks exactly like what I had, and it looks like Cyano to me.

here is my post, has a picture.
https://www.livingreefs.com/whats-these-bubbles-forming-my-rocks-t26393.html

does it look like that?

it started to form what i thought was hair algae on rocks, sand and others

Saying that your tank is still cycling reduce your lights and increase flow. Flow is the main reason that cyano will appear.

Most likely it is a bloom that will come up and disappear after your cycle is finished because algae appears through this time for short periods.

First thing is to find the source though.

here is an article i found on dealing with it, it shows you all the sources and allows you to find which one is causing your problem.

Dealing with Cyanobacteria (Red Slime Algae) - Reef Health

Hope this helps you figure it out :)

Back