dead coral

meatwad0601

a.k.a. Don Jeremeat
im gonna be setting up a 150gal pretty soon. i have 60 to 80 pounds of dead coral from an old setup and about roughly 40 pounds of old crushed coral sand. i know im going to need more substrate but can i get by with the rock i have now or throw in a couple pieces of LR to help out. ohhh by the way its for a FOWLR set up

You will need more rock eventually, but you can definitely use the rock you've got to start. Also, I would highly advise against re-using the crushed coral. Just throw it away and buy sand instead. Crushed coral is horrible for water quality -- the pieces are large enough to trap crap and detritus, which then rot in your tank. It's impossible to keep clean, as your cleaner crew won't do well in it -- burrowing snails, fish, and starfish.

If the substrate you have is sand, that's great. You will be happier if you clean it before you add it to the tank. Take it outside in buckets and rinse it with the hose. It will take forever to get the water to run clean, so don't bother with that. Just mix it up and get as much cloudiness and gunk out as you have patience for.

i cleaned it already when i got it home but it dosent look like enough. i might be a half inch thick once its in the tank. im probably gonna save it for another project or for my sump, and buy all new sand for the display

Back