Dead Six-Line Wrasse

ChPolack

Reefing newb
I purchased a six-line wrasse two days ago and introduced it into my tank. However, when I woke up this morning, I couldn't find it anywhere. Finally, upon closer inspection, I found it on the sand at the bottom of my tank with its tail missing. I'm not sure how it could've died, but it seemed fine yesterday. I'm not sure if maybe I didn't acclimate him correctly, but I used the same method for my fish that have been in my tank for a couple weeks. I don't think I have any other aggressive fish or inverts in my tank:

------14G Biocube---- (Established on 12/17/2010)
Fish
Clownfish
Firefish
Purple Firefish
Invertebrates
Serpent Star
Pincushion Urchin
Corals (all about an inch large)
Ricordia
Candy Cane
2 Polyps (purple green & purple/pink)

I also have a few hermit crabs and snails.

Water Readings

pH: 8.2
kH: 179 ppm
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: Less than 10, more than 5

Very sad, sorry for your loss! I just added a six line two nights ago, he's still going strong and the other two fish (Mimic tang and clown) don't even care he's around.

Sorry to hear about your loss, it may not have been anything you did wrong at all, it could have been an acclimation issue at the lfs or the constant stress of it moving from tank to tank to tank...
Also, welcome to the site, glad to have you aboard.

I might be new to this but that seems like a LOT of creatures for a tank that was just started 6 weeks ago. I always thought you should introduce one thing at a time and give a couple weeks between new additions. I think you are going kinda fast

Last edited:
I think that tank is too small for a sixline. It wouldn't surprise me if the clown bullied it. You have a lot of fish in a very small territory. That increases the chance of aggression between the fish.

The tank does seem a little small, but I did lose one after a day too. The second one I dripped for two hours after floating it for thirty minutes. He is very happy now.

Back