Dead snail...

Murph

Reefing newb
So I added a small clean up crew finally... 10 snails and 10 hermits, and turned them loose on Sunday. Everything seems fine, except it looks like 1 snail didn't make it. Hasn't moved in a couple of days. Not terribly concerned, but I was wondering if I should just leave him in there to rot and let the hermits use his shell, or if I should pull him out.

If he was dead, I would think that the hermits would be all over that. Maybe he is still alive. My turbo took DAYS to move after I added him.

Agreed. Wash your hands w/o soap and give him a lift. See if he does anything. If he is dead I would remove the carcass and let the shell dry out then throw it back in after like 2 days

Roger that, thanks. I'll give him a nudge and see what happens. He is still right side up, so maybe he's just taking his time...

Yeah, they smell horrific if they are dead.

I had two Turbos die after the initial algae bloom was gone.

I disposed of the carcasses, rinsed the shells with RO water until they didn't smell and tossed them back in the tank.

I don't think any of my hermits can use a shell that big.

And I jumped the gun... He's just a slow starter I guess. Pretty sure he moved at some point today. He didn't move far, but he's definitely not in the same spot. Tragedy averted. heh...

Back