Decisions, decisions...

Humuhumununu

Reefing newb
Hey guys my LFS has 2 dwarf angels I'm debating about. A Potter's and a Coral Beauty from the Maldives. These guys are good about taking care of their stuff and they've been in quarantine for 2 or more weeks. The shop is even run by a marine biologist so there isn't much doubt about the health. Which one should I get?

+1 Angie

The potters is one of my favorite angels but they are super tough to keep long term.

While I absolutely loved my Potters, getting a specimen to settle in and last long term is very difficult. I recently lost mine along with my Achilles Tang and a Kole Tang. I also think most places vastly underestimate the tank size that a Potters needs. They need a LOT of rock work to hang out in and pick off of. It took over a month for me to get mine eating consistently, and I had to try all kinds of different foods to get it eating.

How long has your LFS had the Potters? The one I found had been sitting in a LFS for over three months, so it was a hardier specimen that had already adjusted to captivity. If they have only had it a week or two, I would consider asking them if they would put it on hold for another few weeks and check in on it to see how its doing. Most Potters do not do well in captivity, and die in the first few weeks after collection

They don't handle the stress of capture and transport very well. I wouldnt consider a specimen that hasn't been held by a fish store for at least a month. During that time, I would want to see a good feeding response from it several times on something that is easy to feed, and preferably, something I am already feeding my tank.

Mine was incredibly fussy when I first had it. It took over a month for a strong feeding response from it, and that was after it was eating very well at the LFS. The 20 minute drive from the LFS to my house was enough stress to cause it to stop eating. After about 6 months, it would eat pretty much anything that I fed the tank. Ultimately, I had the fish for about two years, I lost it back in November, to what I believe were water condition issues.

I have thought about trying another one, but the thought of finding another hardy specimen is troubling, some estimates say that only 5% of the Potters Angels harvested for the trade are alive a month after capture. It really is a fish that is probably better off left in the ocean, which is a shame, its one of the fish that got me back into fish keeping after college, and Saltwater specifically

These guys feed all their fish consistently and both the fish in question did eat. The tank I have is 135g and the rock is pukani( very holy ) plus the rest if the fish in the tank are peaceful. Would this help? I also feed multiple times daily: algae sheets, assorted pellets, and a variety of frozen food.

I don't doubt that the LFS feeds the fish they have, after what I have observed with the Potters though, I would want to see it eat several times before taking it home. I've looked at a few that my LFS has gotten in to replace the one that I've lost, and I haven't seen one I would have been comfortable taking home.

How long has your LFS had the fish? If you put down a partial deposit would they hold it for you for another two weeks, with the understanding that if it doesn't make it you'd get that deposit back?

Well I'll tell u more tomorrow. I'm going again to make a final decision and I will take into account everything that you guys said. One more thing: I do have a TON of sponges. Would these fish like to eat them regularly or just as a back up plan if they absolutely had to.

Potters angels actualy feed on algae and deitrus in the wild but having sponges means you have healthy live rock. In either case post photos

Back