Dendro VS. Sun Corals cant decide

jcegt87

Dude Dude DUDE!!!!!!
ok so i still havent been able to find any sun corals at any of the 4 LFS i go to that are near me

i was looking online and found out that well, for one their more expensive online lol and two that theirs a corals thats similar to the Sun coral i want called a dendros

the only 2 main differences that i notice is that apperantly the Dendros coral comes out during the day and night compared to the Sun coral, and also that the sun coral is more of a solid color compared to the dendros which i notice is more of a transparent version of the sun coral

does anyone here have personal experience with either of these?

i know that Sun Corals are non photosynthetic and prefer the shade , thus meaning i have to spot feed every polyp, what about the dendros?

any info would be greatly appreciated

Dendros are better imo, they grow larger heads than sun corals. Prettier colors, and stay open most of the time. They both take forever to grow though. Dendros are also non photosynthetic, but are more enjoyable.

sweet any idea where i could get some online? i tries looking but couldnt find anywhere.
cause from the looks of it my LFS's dont carry many non photosynthetic corals lol, one guy told me "there not in season" dunno if thats true or not lol

We have a lot of sun corals available down in Florida. Contact the guy at the little reef shop The Little Reef Shop - Home. Get a quote. He is one of my more reasonable LFS out of the 10 around. Probably $20 for a nice chunk. You can get some other stuff to since the shipping will cost a bit. He has all types of "name recognized" zoo frags for $20 a plug and lots of ORA SPS for $30 a plug. He's real cool you can probably ask him to take some pics of his system instead of buying from the WYSIWYG. Also, I know someone who places there non-photosyn corals in a cup with food to get them to extend. They do these every couple days while slowly exposing them to more light over the course of a few weeks. The corals then enjoy being in full light with full extension. If there not extended once they recognize food in the tank they open right up. I haven't tried it.

I just checked his site it looks like teh WYSIWYG is gone. I think his business has picked up so he took it down. I'd give him a shout and see if it's worth your while. Good luck.

Ive had both. Although suncorals prefer shade, dentros can be placed ANYWHERE. However id have to disagree with smitty and say i like my sun corals more. Either or is a nice addition to any tank, both come in a variety of colors.

I love my sun coral. Started with 1 head, now have 10, 6 months later. You can kinda of "train" them to open during the light period. (only feed it when lights are on) When they do open under the lights though, they look awesome. A really good yellow glow to them.

I had some sun coral and it is a pain in the butt to keep alive. I did everything I could to feed each head and it ended up almost crashing my tank due to the excess food that would fall away from them. I fed all different types of food but found they liked eating very large chunks of raw squid from the grocery store.

Back