Derasa Clam Advice

vincemo22

Reefing newb
Hi guys!
New to the hobby and would like to buy a derasa clam. I have a 47 gallon tower/column aquarium and have a place on the sand for a clam. The distance from my lights to the bottom is about 27 inches. The light system I have in place is 5 strips of these guys: Ecoxotic Panorama LED Module.
They are Ecoxotic Panorama LEDs and each strip puts off 12 watts/ 8,000K. From what I understand, the light is plenty to reach the bottom but is it good enough for a derasa clam? Advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Welcome to the site....
Clams need just as much light as corals, so if your led's can support corals, then it can support clams also.

Thanks for the reply! I included a pic of my structure. I personally think the bottom gets plenty of light but the guy at the shop said I would need about 90 watts of light. Right now its only at 60 watts but the lights i have are supposed to be great quality.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 560
It appears you have plenty of light. And LED's are a different story versus conventional lighting set ups. I think you'd be fine with one on your sand bed.

You have plenty of light- leds are a different story-forget that watt per gl junk-depth of tank biggest factor.Derasa are the least light demanding of the giant clams,
But 3-4 yrs from now your clam is going take up some room!

Back