Diatom Bloom???

mm2meyer

Reefing newb
Hey guys FINALLY got some rock in my tank!!!!:bounce:

IT's only 30 lbs but it's a start. When I put the rock in it was mostly white. Now it's covered in brown was wondering if this is a diatom bloom and is there anything I need to do while waiting for funds to purchase more rock??

Also is this all part of the cycle of the tank???

but that's definately what it is right??? also...those rocks have only been in that tank for like 3 days. Is that also normal???

ok sweet. So just so I got this right. The first signs of your tank going through it's cycle is USUALLY the Diatom bloom??? After that what should I expect???

Also, it's a 180 gallon system, it only has 50lbs of san and 30lbs of rock. I know I need more of both. But would it be wise to toss a raw table shrimp in and start the cycle or should I wait until I get more in there??

dont turn your lights on for a few weeks, then slowly turn them on for a few hours at a time then longer and longer..
also so where did you decide to get your rock from?

I walked into sixth street aquarium and seen two HUGE pieces of figi, and couldn't pass them up. BUT I think I'm going to get the rest of it from livestockusa.org I really like the look of the bali alor and bali blue ridge. just couldn't pass up on the two at sixth street. I doubt I'll ever buy fish from them though.

im sure the reason your getting the bloom is because your running your lights to long and to soon. especially if the rock was white, that tells me that they werent running lights on the rock or low light on it.

there was light on the rocks, but nowhere near as bright as what I have on my tank. But I will turn them off and leave them off for a while. I have also seen a couple of places where coraline is growing. Do I need to have the light on for the coraline or does it matter.

coraline will come later dont worry about it now, your tank is going through a lot of things your water isnt stable. and blasting it with light on the new rocks will cause a bloom....
ps i opened up my own business. and i can get live rock too..

p62400051-300x225.jpg
tukani rock

Back