Difference in fixture prices?

vonjankmon

Reefing newb
Ok maybe I'm missing something but in looking around for 6-8 bulb T5 fixtures for my 90 gallon I'm finding a fair bit of variance and was wondering if anyone could explain to me why.

For instance a 48 in. IceCap Reef Illuminations fixture with 6 bulbs and 2 tubular LED moonlights is about $650 dollars. Here

A 48 in AquaticLife T5 6 bulb fixture also with moonlights is about $530. Here

A 48 in Nova Extreme Pro with 6 bulbs is about $360. Here

And a 48 in Tek light fixture with 6 bulbs is about $315. Here

Now I realize that the first two have moon lights but honestly I can buy a set of tubular moonlights and glue it to the fixture for about $50. I'm willing to spend some cash on my new light fixture but at the same time I cannot figure out the 300-250 dollar differences in prices here. Now I am aware that individual reflectors are supposed to be better but I honestly question this assumption. The quality of a reflector is in it's material and shape, if I bend one large piece of metal into the "best" (whatever that is) shape for reflecting 6 lights, how is that different than bending 6 different pieces into individual examples of the "best" shape for reflecting light? Also two of the fixtures have fans, while two don't. Do fans really make that much of a difference on keeping heat away from the tank? My tank has seahorses in it so I keep the temperature at 74 degrees F, the less heat my tank is exposed to, the less my chiller runs and with the new tank going into the basement I might be able to get away without a chiller entirely if I'm lucky and save myself 600-800 dollars, so this is a concern for me.

Experience with any of the lights I'm looking at would be appreciated along with some recommendations. I've done some research online and while IceCap seems to be the Rolls Royce of lighting fixtures I'm not seeing, at least on the surface of looking on the web what I'm getting for an extra 300 dollars over, say the Tek fixture.

I use a Current fixture (just like the Nova Extremes) and am very pleased with it. Everyone I know that uses Current loves them as well. I would also definetly reccomend getting one with cooling fans as well. It's not just a matter of keeping heat out of the tank but they keep your fixture cool too, although T5s don't really emit nearly as much heat as say...MH to begin with, it's still a good idea to have them.

And unless you're a master with sheet metal I wouldn't suggest trying to bend your own reflectors. As far as individual reflectors being better than one big one, I'm not totally sure why, but I'm sure cccapt or another good "equipment" guy on here could tell you.

It many ways it's like automobiles.A Mercedes and a Honda will get you from point A to B.It depends on how good you want to look on the way there.Okay,maybe not a good analogy.

I think the info from Marine depot on the Icecap is wrong.The Icecap has 4 T5 bulbs and 4 Lunar/actinic LED tubes.Your not getting gimped on bulbs.You run daylights for all 4 T5 bulbs and use the LED for actinics.

I can tell you what I know.........
Icecap-suppose to be built like a tank/has one of the best reflectors.You may get some shimmer because of the LED tubes/usually does not come with bulbs/this site has them for much less and with bulbs
Icecap-t5hood ICE-H48T5LED Premium Aquatics

Aquaticlife-comes with bulbs but they aren't very good(low PAR)/nice timers/haven't been around for very long-reliability unknown

Nova Pro-most popular because of cost/fairly reliable/comes with bulbs but not very good either/not true individual reflectors/reflectors not so great

Tek-no cooling fans/no bulbs/maybe average to slightly above average reflectors

Also check out the Aquatinics Constellation and the Tek Elites(with cooling fans).I by no means an expert.I don't have the test equipment to even try.This is all from the T5 gurus who have tested these lights and reflectors on RC.

Good Luck

Yea, with lighting it comes down to your own style and budget. I have a Current fixture I love, but the bulbs are less than the best, so I will upgrade in a bit. The Current fixture's mostly come with bulbs, but the Tek may not, so you may want to consider that, a Tek light will need 6 bulbs @ $30 each or so, so thats another $180. It's a personal thing. The Current fixture I have also has reflectors on each bulb and its bright.

Not taking bulbs into consideration, there are really only 3 things that make a fixture good or not so good.
Reflectors: Some have individual, engineered reflectors that reflect up to 99% of the light back down into the tank while some have 1 piece reflectors bent to shape that may only reflect 50% of the light down and into the tank.
Ballast: some have well know name brands while others may have Chinese knock-offs that might run fine forever or might die in 2 weeks.
Fans: same as the ballasts. Some use quality, name brand fans and some are just junk.

Any opinions on Catalina fixtures?

They have a 6 bulb fixture for $375. Here

Or a 6 bulb fixture with LEDs built into it too for $750. Here

I know it is a bit early for definitive statements on LEDS but are there any types that we know to avoid
? They do custom lights so I may inquire about how much a 4 bulb fixture with 2 of their LED strips would cost. Honestly at this point I think I may just get a Current fixture, with a couple of recommendations and a good price point it seems like the best bang for my buck so far.

750 is too much for one of their lights call them and get a quote you can get them cheaper by calling them than by getting it online

The Icecap fixtures are overpriced and have alot of problems. They are pricey because of the name and they have led strips. They were new fixtures that got put out to fast and have alot of issues. The Tek's are being replaced by the Tek Elites with fans and better reflective material. I purchased a 48" 6x54 ATI Sunpower. In my opinion it is the best money I've spent on this hobby. Those other fixtures couldn't come close to it. I've had it for over a month and I still have the thing hanging 9" off of the tank. I bought it with my upgrade in mind which will be a 5x2x2 tank which will also be LPS dominated. It is very quiet and the amount of light that it puts out is stupid.

Back