DIY fuge

I know, I know pics pics pics ... I should have some up soon, I am just finishing up the piping (it was slightly more complicated than I thought). I also wanted to know before I start adding water to it, should I put sand or mud in there or is just the live rock necessary. If so, what are the benefits of having the substrate

I only use small pieces of live rock and live rock rubble. I have heard things about everything though, it really comes down to what you want.

I like the rubble cause it gives the snails and hermits the ability to go around all sides and clean it also adds more filtration.

I'm putting LR in there, I'm just trying to figure out if ti's necessary or beneficial to have a substrate as well.

I couldnt help you there. I have heard some people say that the Mud is kinda overrated. I personally went with no substrate to keep sand out of return pump.

The flow should be low enough over my middle section to keep it from blowing around (if I pu tit in that is)

Pics
DSCN0450.jpg

DSCN0448.jpg

Water should be going in tomorrow, and then once I figure out the substrate thing, LR and chaeto too

The only thing I would say is to put the light on something else like the side of the tank. Rounded pipe with those clamp lamps may be a recipe for a disaster.

I'll be building a case or cabinet to cover it and be mounting the light on it. The light was just there for the pic. Thanks!

Thanks, dcan ... this would be my next issue. Deciding between mud and sand ... so much research just for substrate for my refug :frustrat:

I think I read that mud needs to be replace every two years.Sand you would need to add more.I even seen people mix the two.

Personally,I would go with sand.

I think I am going to go with sand mainly because of the cost. I spent a few hours reading various sites and from what I've gathered 3-4" of argonite or finer grained sand is considered a DSB, is that correct? If possible I'd like no tto go more than 4" due to height limitations in my sump.

i would go with either sand or nothing. i was planning on having no substrate in mine for a while. but i want to plant some marco in it.

Thanks everyone for all of your help and advise! Here's the almost finished project (still plan on making a cabinet for it, mount a light and add some more LR
DSCN0463.jpg

DSCN0464.jpg

Back