DIY LED lights?

I actually ordered this one from the same place (which will give me a discount if I order more than 3 at a time):

DealExtreme: $15.20 SSC P7 C-Bin LED Emitter with 21mm Heat Sink Base (3.6V~3.7V)

It's cheaper using this. We can just screw it into the large heatsink that will hold the entire unit together. We're going to solder the wiring directly onto each p7 heatsink. Saves money. And if one needs replaced, we'll just unscrew, rip out, and resolder a new led w/ heatsink. This set up is definitely not for those who want "plug and play", but in efforts to keep prices low, this is what we're doing. It'll be a PITA I know it LOL!!

Depending on how the white ones make my tank look (give it the MH shimmer effect), then I am only planning to use the blue LEDs as moonlights. It will have separate wiring and will be on at night.

All this is theory so far. Once we receive our LED and play with it, we'll have a better idea of what direction to go. Seeing as how it's coming from hong kong, dunno when it'll get here LOL According to USPS, it left hong kong march 13. No updates since then. I hate waiting! But what can ya do -- free shipping :D

It shouldn't take that long to get to you. When I lived in Korea and ordered things from the US it never took more than a week and a half to get there

Here's hoping. Maybe USPS just hasn't updated. They're bad about updating statuses. Hopefully it landed state-side already :)

Im definitely following this build. I would love to replace my T5s with LEDs.

as of my understanding...LEDs are almost as bright as mh...use less electricity than mh... and not nearly as much heat...

hmm if thats all correct...whats the downside?

Im definitely following this build. I would love to replace my T5s with LEDs.

as of my understanding...LEDs are almost as bright as mh...use less electricity than mh... and not nearly as much heat...

hmm if thats all correct...whats the downside?

Inital startup costs

but thats it?

i mean ~$600 for a lighting fixture is not bad at all. considering mh cost much more for an actual fixture.

It depends, they were posting some nice ones that were upwards of $3000 ... what one did you find for $600?

We calculated our initial costs to be around $600-700 in parts. The drawback to our particular design is that changing out the bulb consists of actually resoldering the new light w/ heatsink....but then again, it has a long life, so it would be (hopefully) just changed out once per year or two.

We are looking to spend $300-400 in LED's (we haven't decided yet how many LED's we will need to make sure we get uniform lighting). The heatsink base is around $60 each, and I think we'll need 2. Soldering materials, wiring, and of course 2 controllers for the lights. We have tons of computer fans we can use to cool the unit off.

well, I'm not sure about the high-powered LEDs that you have to use for aquariums but, if there the same as the regulars and they last approx. 50,000 hours ... and you only use your lights for 8 hours a day, that comes out to 6250 days or 17.12 years. Granted they probably won't last that long but still, I don't think you'll have to replace them every 2 years.

I'm hoping ;) LOL

Too bad I have no way to get par readings. That would be the ultimate test. They're expensive, aren't they? I don't even know what they're called to google them.

Cool....thanks, bl :) I've bookmarked it. I wonder how it works though? Do you put the censor IN the water? I'll research it.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, it is waterproof :) Thanks!

Back