DIY Skimmer

i just dont know about the diffuser plate, the 2inch might work, i'd try it and just not glue it at first...

Number 1 Plastics
PET or PETE (polyethylene terephthalate)
Found in: Soft drink, water and beer bottles; mouthwash bottles; peanut butter containers; salad dressing and vegetable oil containers; ovenable food trays.

Plastic coke bottles are a plastic abbreviated "PETE" (poly-ethylene-ter-ethalate).(recycle symbol #1)
A clear plastic is usually meltable and dissolvable, so a lot of glues work for it.
Model airplane glues, or cyanoacrylate super-glues, or most rubbery glues, are good.
Water-drying glues (white glue) will not work, but most solvent-drying glues will.
Water cannot dissolve or melt a little of the plastic like the solvents can.
I think epoxies work OK, too, at least until the thin plastic flexes and peels itself away
from thick, hard glue.
Alcohol or acetone cleaning might help here, too.

so... i'm thinking that the pvc glue might have a shot at working, but you can allways just take some scraps from the bottle and try them... if the glue makes the plastic go soft and or squishy, its prolly working...

Last edited:
thanks project.

I just finished glueing the bottom onto the 4" pvc riser.

I didnt want to do that until I had the hole for the recirculating pump and the water return drilled, but line for the pump is just south of center of the coupling. SO it is going through both the riser tube and the cap.:grumble: Now, I am going to have to reach all the way in there with my hand to make sure there is enough glue to keep it from leaking.

But it is going good.:mrgreen:

thanks project.

I just finished glueing the bottom onto the 4" pvc riser.

I didnt want to do that until I had the hole for the recirculating pump and the water return drilled, but line for the pump is just south of center of the coupling. SO it is going through both the riser tube and the cap.:grumble: Now, I am going to have to reach all the way in there with my hand to make sure there is enough glue to keep it from leaking.

But it is going good.:mrgreen:

When you get this baby finished and working you'll have to post your plans and equipment list with step by step instructions that an idiot like me can follow so I can save $150. :mrgreen:

When you get this baby finished and working you'll have to post your plans and equipment list with step by step instructions that an idiot like me can follow so I can save $150. :mrgreen:

Will do.

Unfortunantly, I havent taken any pics of the assembly other than the pics of the parts before

Will have to try to remember:mrgreen:

yea, i took pics of my tank last night, and i totally forgot to take pics of the thing i was gonna show ya for this skimmer idea...

maybe i'll remember tonight...

It seems to be working. I put the cap back on the bottle and filled it up with water. Only a small pin hole leak and it appears to be coming from where I couldnt get all the lable off the bottle. I will run a bead of glue around the top and on the inside.

Ran out of PVC glue too and dont feel like running to the hardware store today. The can was half full when I started this project. Didnt realise how much glue 4" uses. Usually the glue dries up before I can finish the bottle since I am usually doing just 1/2"

yea, that will use up a bunch of glue pretty fast... but its good and strong? well thats good to know then...

have you got a hot glue gun? you might could fix the pinhole with that...

just a thought...

yes I do,

might work. But I really am not too concerned since the leak will be where the foam is and not under water. But I will still try to seal it up.

Yeah the fittings are nice and strong. I primered both peices and applied glue generously, slid the pieces together and gave a quarter turn to spread the glue around. I then took the brush and went around the fittings. I know probably a bit much, but I just dont want it to leak:mrgreen:

ahh yea thats right, the plastic coke bottle is the tapering neck part, up towards the collection cup....

hehehe i can just imagine it spurting fluids cause of the upward pressure of the bubbles... heheheh

:shock: " i can just imagine it spurting fluids cause of the upward pressure" :shock:

spurt, spurt.......
That coupled with BJ, well.............

I will have to do that once its all built.

On a hold right now since I ran out of glue and havent had a chance to get any more.

Really the only parts still needed to purchase are a union and the slip coupler.

Brian

Back