DJ404's 80G Build Thread

Small update here, received my Eshopps PF-800 Overflow box, my Hydor Theo 400w heater and my API Saltwater Master Test Kit. Things are moving along, slowly but surely :)

DSC_0207_178.jpg

Update:

Got the new stand, I like it a lot! I haven't put the doors on it yet since I will have to take the top off again to put the 30g refugium in it.
DSC_0023_192.jpg

and received one Koralia Magnum 5 and a Coralife digital thermometer:
DSC_0026_195.jpg

Getting closer to being up and running, received RO/DI Unit, 100 lbs of live sand, 200 gallons of oceanic salt mix, a refractometer and the 30 gallon tank for my fuge.

Still need to get

Lights
Live Rock
Skimmer
Plumbing for fuge
Return Pump
At least one more powerhead

Last edited:
Finally got it up and running! Added 70lbs of live sand and 45 lbs of fiji LR along with the 48" CurrentUSA 6x54 T5 Fixture , I will be getting much more LR soon, the tank has already started cycling.

DSC_0059_204.jpg

Quick question though, I scrubbed the rock the best I can but there is some organic matter that has come off and is laying on the sandbed now, what should I do about it? I am trying not to disturb the sandbed too much since it is finally clearing up.

It looks beautiful James!The decaying matter is what started the cycle.I don't think it will matter either way unless there is alot of it.

The stuff will rot eventually... Once your tank is done cycling, you can buy your clean up crew to take care of anything leftover. If you want to, you can suck it out with a turkey baster.

Thank you everyone! The cloudiness is driving me crazy! I guess I didn't rinse it good enough, I had turned my powerhead off for the last two days and just ran a HOB filter I had laying around with just a sponge in it, it got somewhat clear so I decided to turn the powerhead back on with it aimed up top toward the surface and it got cloudy again. Im just gonna let it run overnight with the HOB filter and hope it all settles. Its getting really annoying, the sand had settled all over my LR too :(

+1 PRC
Just let all your powerheads and stuff run.That way the finer grains of sand ( that causes the cloudiness ) will get pulled out,clearing the water.

Thanks all, I unhooked the filter and just have the powerhead running and will let it run its course. I still have to get my protein skimmer and finish setting up my fuge.

Small update, received another 45lbs of LR from liveaquaria making a total of 90 lbs in the tank. I'm really not that happy with their Live rock, I pretty much got no hitchhikers at all from them and the rock arrives dry. This last batch I got also seems more dense. I may buy another 20lbs or so from a LFS here.

On a side note, came home today and the tank seems to have a big algae bloom, I have been noticing some diatoms the last few days but the water had gotten pretty clear, today the water is pretty much brown within a matter of 8 hrs. I must admit I have been leaving the T5's on for the majority of the day. I am gonna cut down the lighting to less than 4 hrs a day and see what happens. I'll try to snap a pic later if possible.

Current Water params
SG - 1.026
PH - 7.8
Amm - 4.0 ppm
Nitrite - 5.0 ppm
Nitrate - 160 ppm

Back