DJ404's 80G Build Thread

That's a HUGE galaxea! Awesome! Those aren't button polyps -- they are zoanthids. Everything looks great!

Haha thanks I like the galaxia so far and have been keeping an eye on the sweeper tentacles not stinging anything else. oh so they are zoas? When I bought them I reffered to them as zoas and the guy said oh you want those button polyps so I got confused lol

Some new additions

DSC_0230.jpg

DSC_0222.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

Small updates. Bought a UV Sterilizer and went from this:
80Gal072310.jpg

to this

80Gal072810.jpg

Skimmers been doing its thing:
DSC_0331_310.jpg

Will be taking the T5s off soon and replacing with 2 of these:
DSC_0357_317.jpg

DSC_0358_318.jpg

Still gotta buy the 2nd ballast, 2 reflectors and bulbs. Also just ordered 55 more LBS of base rock from BRS.

Last edited:
Holy crap,there was enough phytoplankton in there to bottle up and sell!

The zoas and other additions look great!

Haha yea tell me about it, I don't know why I was getting such bad blooms but the UV has turned the water crystal clear. I also run GFO/GAC in reactors. There has been some good growth on all my corals including my acro. I have decided this is going to be a SPS dominant tank, hence why I am switching to MH's.

Holy crap,there was enough phytoplankton in there to bottle up and sell!

LOL. I was just about to say that.

That UV works wonder! Once it's under control, I would leave it off until you need it again though. It would kill off all the good stuff and critter as well.

I think I should be ok with the paint not flaking, I used the krylon fusion which is meant for plastics and also wetsanded each coat with progressively higher grit sandpaper.

you might have been better sticking black acylic over the oak, did it with mine, you can buy strips 3mm x 50mm and stick with glazing silicone, but your's looks great, cant wait until it's full

Well I came home all excited that my stand had arrived today from Foster and Smith, greated at the door by this:

DSC_0206_177.jpg

and open it up to see this:

DSC_0205_176.jpg

DSC_0204_175.jpg

DSC_0203_174.jpg

The door is completely cracked off and there is about 4 other cracks in the stand itself.
So I called Foster and Smith, they inform me this stand is discontinued, so I have picked out a different model that they are shipping out now and I have to return this stand, I will be credited the difference. Overall I have to say they were very good about this whole situation and I will definitely be ordering from them again.
was the damage caused by the courier?

I dont think it was, the box was in perfect shape and was packed very well from the manufacturer. It's a shame because we really liked that stand a lot.
Have looked at all 8 pages and you have done marvellous, the set up looks great overall you gave done good

algy1943

Back