DJ404's 80G Build Thread

While your tanks cycling,leave the lights off completely.With spikes that high,you'll have some BAD algae problems.

I've gotta be honest, I've never read a thread of anybody having brown water...it's driving me crazy thinking about it...The brown sand is more than likely diatoms, but the water is a mystery to me...going back and reading through your thread again, the only thing that I can come up with is maybe it's the die off from the rock that you scrubbed and the powerhead is keeping it suspended in the water. That's all I can come up with, sorry I couldn't be of more help....

Maybe do a 10g water change and see if that clears it up a bit, and lowers your parameters.? Other than that, just be patient. My tank took 5 weeks to completely cycle.

I don't know if you saw Sen's post about the 3 articles, so I figured I'd pass along the link... The first article/first paragraph talks about doing water changes during a cycle.

https://www.livingreefs.com/3-great-articles-every-newb-should-read-t26698.html

Last edited:
I've gotta be honest, I've never read a thread of anybody having brown water...it's driving me crazy thinking about it...The brown sand is more than likely diatoms, but the water is a mystery to me...going back and reading through your thread again, the only thing that I can come up with is maybe it's the die off from the rock that you scrubbed and the powerhead is keeping it suspended in the water. That's all I can come up with, sorry I couldn't be of more help....

Maybe do a 10g water change and see if that clears it up a bit, and lowers your parameters.? Other than that, just be patient. My tank took 5 weeks to completely cycle.

I don't know if you saw Sen's post about the 3 articles, so I figured I'd pass along the link... The first article/first paragraph talks about doing water changes during a cycle.

https://www.livingreefs.com/3-great-articles-every-newb-should-read-t26698.html

Thank you PRC I am actually planning on doing a water change today, I mixed up the water yesterday.

Heres the best pic I could get, don't mind the aquascaping, since I couldnt see that well in the tank I just threw it in there.

DSC_0070_209.jpg

DSC_0071_210.jpg

From the pics that definitely looks like it's coming off the rock. Do you have one of those saltwater syphone hoses, if so, I'd basically vacuum the rock with it. Or if you're doing a water change anyway, fill up a couple fo 5g buckets with water from the tank, take the rock out put it in the bucket and try to shake off as much of the die off as possible and put the rock back in the tank....I'll bet that's why your levels are so high because you've gotta alot of life (or die off) on those rocks, which would explain the really high parameters during the cycle.

But looking at the pics, IMO it's clear that the "brown" is coming off the rocks, because the top half of the tank is pretty clear.

Then once you've removed and replaced allo the rock complete the water change, and suck out alot of the muck that's floating in the water after you moved the rocks around.

Last edited:
I'm wondering...and this may sound super stupid, so I'm sorry if it does... But have you cleaned the glass lately? If there is film algae on the glass, that will make the water appear brown. Even though the water is just fine.

I've seen bacteria blooms turn the water a muddy brown color.
But yea,try cleaning the inside glass and see if that helps.

Get a canister filter and run it with carbon and filter floss. Change the media daily. It should help to clear it up in less than a week.

I'm wondering...and this may sound super stupid, so I'm sorry if it does... But have you cleaned the glass lately? If there is film algae on the glass, that will make the water appear brown. Even though the water is just fine.

Yea I had thought maybe it was the glass as well but I scraped my finger on the inside and nothing, definitely seems to be the water, it does seem to be clearing up since I have left the light off, gonna do a water change in a bit, hopefully that helps with the params, there was a lot of dead stuff on the LR. I got most of it off the other day when I took it out and scrubbed it with a toothbrush in a bucket of saltwater.

Ok did about a 15gal water change. Params listed below

SG 1.026
AMM - .50
Nitrite - 1.0
Nitrate - 80

Seems to be getting better.

Well its been three weeks since the tank has been filled up and it looks like we are on the tail end of the cycle. The water has cleared up for the most part and I have the following paramaters:
Temp 78-80 deg
SG - 1.26
Amm - 0
Nitrite .25
Nitrate - somewhere between 0-5

DSC_0120_226.jpg

DSC_0123_228.jpg

Last edited:
Well the tank is finally cycled with a reading of

Amm - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

So I added 10 nassarius snails, 5 hermits and 1 Serpent Star

It's nice to see some livestock finally in the tank, theres plenty of diatoms that they seem to be munching on, the serpent star immediately went into the rockwork and has remained.

congrats on finishing the cycle and showing enough patience to do so...LOL. that's the last you'll see of the serpent star except for his legs when he's hungry.

Well I havent updated this in a bit so figured I would snap some pics, I been slowly adding livstock to the tank. Heres what I have currently.

2 Sebae Clowns
DSC_0173_1.jpg

Frag of some Button Polyps
DSC_0190.jpg

Galaxia
DSC_0191.jpg

Torch Coral
DSC_0192.jpg

Florida Red Ricordia
DSC_0195.jpg

Back