Doc's Reef Build

Re: Dr Marco's Reef Build

Gorgeous tank doc. Now I have something to strive for. It may be a while seen as I am just about to get started and this will be my first reef tank.

nate

greetings from sunny San Diego, CA. The family and I are off visiting family and took some time for a nice vacation. I will not be on much for the next week, but I wanted to check a few things, so here I am.

The pink coral is a bubble coral Alexander

My rock is a mix of tonga and fiji.

As for aquascaping, I have no idea what makes it look "OK". I tend to try to make enough room for my corals. WHen i fiddle, it takes me hours and it can really piss off my wife cuz I just lose track of time. I hope to keep the rocks as is for a while to let the coral just over grow everywhere

Glad everyone liked the pics

-Doc

I actually am having a wonderful time. Did the Disneyland thing yesterday. It was crazy-busy and just a ton of fun. Went from open to close...8am to midnight. Even the four-year-old was enthralled with the whole thing. great fun. off to the zoo tomorrow.

As for posting, I am trying to keep up so-as not to disappoint you, Reef.

-Doc

well, between food, gas, Disneyland (wow that was expensive), the zoo, Scripps Aquarium (which I have pics I will post for everyone), more food, and of course, shopping....I am broke. No new tank stuff for a while. Very much worth it though.

-Doc

Very nice looking tank! Gotta ask, how do you keep your xenia groomed so well? Do you shave daily? Mine are just going nuts and doing whatever they want.. I like your perfectly scalped ball of xenia.

i don't do anything. just how she grows. when she gets out of control, I will do some trimming to keep it from taking over. glad you liked the pics. Don't forget to vote for me on POTM thread!!!

-Doc

I figure this place is safe for me to post my sincere thanks for those of you who liked my tank. Maybe here, I will be safe from Reef's sarcasm. Maybe not. Anyway, I just added a cleaner shrimp today and have plans for a few more. I have my eye on an ultra-crocea clam as well, but I am fearful of getting one since the last one just up and died on me. I did save the shell and glued it back together so my wife could make a work of art out of it (she is gifted that way). She also used the skeleton of the Arco that died a while back. Anyway, I am not quite sure what else to do in this tank. I have looked at a Lord, but DAMN! costs too much for right now. I am trying to focus attention on the 125 to get it looking presentable. One of my Bartlett's went carpet surfing, so I may add two squamipinis to make up for it. For now, I may just sit back and enjoy it

-Doc

yeah. I need to make the angel tank look better for sure. I want to get the tank ready for a POTM shot as well

-Doc

OK, so I am having SPS problems. I posted pics on a different thread complaining about half of the coral being shaved off. parasites? I hope not.

anyway, I have another problem. My purple queens are MIA. WTF? I cannot find them anywhere. I have not seen them in four days. What IDIOT recommended them to a reef tank, sheesh!!!

Anyway, I have a replacement fish at the LFS already and it has been QT'd for a while. Not sure if it is eating. I will see tomorrow. If it is, he is coming home then.

I did get a few new zoas today

P1100007.jpg

and a ton of rubble. I am going to try to propigate some along the front of the tank. I want to put my blastos there if they will do OK on the bottom in full light. I will fart around with it tonight and shoot a few pics.

-Doc

I have been meaning to post a picture of my living room with furniture in it and the tank

P1060001.jpg

-Doc

Reckon those purple queens decided to become purple hookers?

Those zoas and the whole tank look great.
As for your living room,it looks awesome.Buts wheres the mounts?I meanmno living room is complete without the addition of a couple of deer heads and maybe a wild turkey cape or 2.:mrgreen:

looks good doc. which current light fixture are you running? or did you mention and I just don't rememer?

looks good doc. which current light fixture are you running? or did you mention and I just don't rememer?

8 bulb T-5 with individual reflectors. I am not into name brands, so I cannot remember and hell, I don't even know where to look. it is the same kind as reef ran on his 75. works great, I want one on my 15, but...um.. yeah costs like a grand plus, so....it will have to wait. for that much money, I would upgrade to a 265 instead of getting new lights

-Doc

I'm going to laugh a little that your purple queens have come up missing.I serious don't know how they survive in the wild!?!?I have no idea what mine is eating but she is still kicking.

Very nice living room/den or whatever room that is.

Back